Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 PM
brian

Default Seven Biggest Cat Boxes in the County

Friends,

I recently moved into a new house. I use the square foot gardening
method, so I tilled up a nice little section and placed several wooden
frames for my plants (three 4x4, two 2x6 and two 2x8).

My problem is that my cat has decided that I've built her the seven
biggest cat boxes in the county. At first, it was no big deal. Most of
the garden doesn't have anything in it yet and it's easy to tell where
she's been digging. I just scoop out her business (check for
saltiness, of course) and smooth over the soil.

Yesterday, though, she just dug up two square feet of radish and
carrot seeds to plant her own cat poop plant. Needless to say, I was
ready to plant a cat bush about then (but I guess that next season,
I'd have an even bigger problem as all the cats got ripe).

I've read some back posts on some solutions, but I want to get some
fresh opinions.

Someone suggested chili powder or cayenne pepper would keep her out,
but also that she might lick it off of her feet and maybe get it in
her eyes. They went on to suggest that she might scratch out her own
eyes to relieve the pain.

How about black pepper or coffee grinds? Will these keep her out
without causing her to resort to self mutilation? Do coffee grinds
have to be fresh? (I hear that fresh coffee grinds keep snails away
too, so if they would work, that would be great.)

I don't want to hurt her, but I'm not above causing a little
discomfort (as long as she won't injure herself to avert it) or even
scaring the hell out of her (though I would probably prefer not to).

I chase her out of the boxes when I see her in them, but I can't watch
her twenty four seven. Locking her indoors is not an option. I'm also
extremely lazy, so building a fence or chicken wire covers is out.
Well, maybe chicken wire covers, but I'd rather pursue some easier
options first. I'm also completely organic, so mothballs or other
chemicals are out.

Anyways, what has worked for you?

Thanks,

b.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:44 PM
skg

Brian,
My raised beds front a greenway, and I get cats, geese, nutira, you name it.
For cat control, I use orange peels scattered throughout the garden. Works
well.

For nutria, I use live animal traps. For geese, I dangle AOL CDs from poles
in the garden. They're scary when the wind blows...

skg

"brian" wrote in message
om...
Friends,
snip

My problem is that my cat has decided that I've built her the seven biggest
cat boxes in the county. snip

Old 07-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Glenna Rose

Not a solution to keep her away, rather to avert her to better places, but
have you considered building a cat litter box outside? Seriously. Build
one, perhaps 3x3 (big enough to be as appealing as the garden boxes) and
fill it with sand or very sandy soil. Cover it with some sort of cover to
keep the soil dry with a cover perhaps three feet off the surface, far
enough to keep the rain out but close enough to also keep the rain out.
If you decide to do this, you might want to decorate it in some clever way.

It seems logical that she would prefer the light sandy soil to the garden
soil. On the good side, the work need not go to waste. If she really
doesn't like it, after weeks/months that you know she won't use it, you
can always plant a nice planting of cacti.

When she starts using it, periodically cleaning it would be prudent.

Oh, and nice little electric wires around the vegetable boxes probably
wouldn't hurt a bit (well, her, but only once if she's a normally smart
cat).

Glenna

Old 07-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Bill Litchfield

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941018d3ca53b9aca00be29f75f.18d3cd6@p mug.org...
[...]

The best solution I have found is to simply lay chicken wire on top of the
raised beds.

Regards,
Bill

Old 07-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Anonymo421

I don't want to hurt her, but I'm not above causing a little
discomfort (as long as she won't injure herself to avert it) or even
scaring the hell out of her (though I would probably prefer not to).

Perhaps you could lay in wait with a garden hose--wait until the cat is poised
for a deposit, and hose it into next week. Shouldn't take too many
applications.

--
The US government wants the power to read citizens' email, but refuses to
defend the nation's borders. What's wrong with this picture?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:32 PM
jc

"Anonymo421" wrote in message

Perhaps you could lay in wait with a garden hose--wait until the cat

is poised
for a deposit, and hose it into next week. Shouldn't take too many
applications.

Or try a motion detecter that momentarily turns on sprinklers. -Olin

Old 07-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Repeating Decimal

in article , brian at
wrote on 3/7/03 7:56 AM:

Anyways, what has worked for you?

killing them

Old 07-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Timber

Yeah, I had the same problem with my cat's as well!
Peppers can and does irritate them when they get it into their eyes but it
is a fast learning curve!
As with anything applied topical---you have to continue with re-application.
Soon she will learn to stay out. However, you will always have to re-apply
after every watering!

Another option is to purchase those little plastic plug things you see on
roses when you get them from a florist. I haven't found an on-line source
for these yet and simply purchase them from my local florist store for 10
cents each.

I steppe the hottest peppers (About 2 cups full sometimes more never less)
from the garden in a vegetable oil (buy the cheap kind, you aren't going to
eat it!)
Drain out a few cups, run the peppers through the blender with some of the
oil you drained out. With a funnel, pour it back into the oil and POOF, a
month later you have a gallon worth of CAT HATING HOT PEPPER SMELL! (If you
purchased a gallon of oil in the first place that is.

With a Dremil, (or any drill with a very small drill bit) drill holes all
over your plastic plugger thing. They have a stopper with a hole in it for
the flower stem. Once I have drilled holes in the plugger I dip them into a
melted paraffin wax (from the canning section of the grocery market). Don't
get the wax too thick as you want the smell to permeate it. Yes, in hot
weather you will find yourself refilling the hot oil once or twice per
month. And re-dipping the plugger. But you can keep the paraffin in its own
container and melt it in the microwave. I keep it in a large plastic
container-re-used from any product---mine happens to be a large butter tub.

Once you have the holes drill, applied the thin coating of wax, put the
stopper on the top, tie some garden twine just under the stopper cap. Make
sure you allow enough twine to tie it to your plants or stake! Remove the
stopper, fill the plugger with the hot oil, replace the stopper and attach
it to the plant or stake near the plant. I use this same method for my
indoor plants as well because lets face it, give kitty soil and YUCK!

I leave the top open and simply change them once a month with a good washing
in the dishwasher refill and go.
Once, I thought the cats had learned where NOT TO GO! Wrong, with the hot
pepper smell gone GAME WAS BACK ON! Grrrrrrrr. Also, after a heavy rain I
re-fill them. As it's a garden, lets face it, you are in it all the time so
it's easy to check on the condition of your hot pepper plugs.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Minteeleaf

brian wrote:

[...]

A blast of cold water smack in the face.
My neighbor lets his cats run loose & they love to dig up my
container garden. Each time I catch them, I blast them with cold
water. After several hard-pressured blasts, they stayed away
last summer.

Now spring is coming. This time, I plan to set out poison.
If the jerk won't control his cats, oh well. It's the cats
or the veggies I worked hard to grow, & I don't like cats
in any event. I want & need the veggies. Cat stew is also an
option. I've had it with this irresponsible cat owner.

Minteeleaf, not gonna take it anymore.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Tim B

I think I'm going to recommend what is for me the universal garden problem
solver, chicken wire. Get enough to go around the garden and staple it to
inexpensive little wood uprights to make a very inexpensive perimeter fence
you can put up in just a few minutes. We have several cats. They have a
huge concern for their paws and it seems like they don't like to get them
into chicken wire. Plus they don't tend to jump up and over something and
back down again, hardly ever. They like to jump up on things, or jump down
from things, but they try to avoid anything they have to hurdle.

From past experience, to save some work, use Preen under the fence so you
don't get weeds growing there. And/or put your grass clippings there.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:35:22 GMT, "Tim B"
wrote:

I think I'm going to recommend what is for me the universal garden problem
solver, chicken wire. Get enough to go around the garden and staple it to
inexpensive little wood uprights to make a very inexpensive perimeter fence
you can put up in just a few minutes. We have several cats. They have a
huge concern for their paws and it seems like they don't like to get them
into chicken wire. Plus they don't tend to jump up and over something and
back down again, hardly ever. They like to jump up on things, or jump down
from things, but they try to avoid anything they have to hurdle.

Works fine for us too. The little 3' high chicken wire
fence also keeps out rabbits and our dogs - the garden is
inside the dog's fenced back yard.

Pat

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY