Old 22-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Ottawa

Default Do tomatoes grow back?

I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

Old 22-07-2005, 06:29 PM
FDR

"Ottawa" wrote in message
. ..
I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

They are annuals and do not grow back. They grow from seed.

Old 22-07-2005, 11:19 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Ottawa" wrote:

I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

I have had tomatoes come back each year, and in fact, have some new
"volunteers" coming up in a potted tomato right now. ;-)

But only because I dropped a couple of over-ripe fruits into the bottom
of the pot so they are coming up from the seeds that were in the fruits.

Tomatoes are annuals. They need to be replanted each year.

Peppers, however, depending on the variety and the severity of the
winter, CAN come back! I have a Chile petin right now out in the main
garden bed that is over 4 years old and it's huge. The plant looks dead
in the winter, but I leave it there and it re-sprouts lots of leaves and
my cackatoo deeply appreciates the hundreds of pea-sized fruit it
produces every year.

Summer squash, no. Needs to be replanted every year. I've had eggplants
last 2 years, but that's it so I'm not really sure about them.
--
Om.

Old 22-07-2005, 11:31 PM
sueb

Ottawa wrote:
I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

I've had volunteer tomatoes the following year if I planted from seed
(rather than plants from the nursery) and let a few fruits fall in the
bed. As long as you don't spray weedkiller, or anything else that will
kill seeds or sprouts, the tomato seeds should sprout the following
spring.

I planted some fantastic yellow tomatoes and they kept coming up year
after year. I'm in coastal California - if you're in a very cold
winter area, this might not work.

Susan B.

Old 23-07-2005, 05:01 PM
simy1

it works in Michigan, but only with cherry tomatoes that I know of.

Old 23-07-2005, 06:14 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Ottawa" wrote:

I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

They aren't pernenials, but if you let enough fruit rot on the ground
they will re-seed.

I grew sweet 100's last year which produce a larger amount of wasted
fruit the mound under the plant (and attract mouds of ants). I have a
2 foot trough of volunteers that came back this year, plus a few
peeking out from uder broccoli and flower beds. None of my other
tomatoes re-seed, but I don't let the fruits fall to the ground and
let the seeds rot back into the ground.

Last year's hot chile pepper plant has a bunch of moldy peppers which
got composted. I have dozens of voluneteers from that plant.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 23-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Daniel Prince

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Tomatoes are annuals. They need to be replanted each year.

If you live in a warm climate they are perennial. I live in Los
Angeles and I have had Lemon Boy tomatoes overwinter two or three
times.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.
Old 23-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Jon Shemitz

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Peppers, however, depending on the variety and the severity of the
winter, CAN come back! I have a Chile petin right now out in the main
garden bed that is over 4 years old and it's huge. The plant looks dead
in the winter, but I leave it there and it re-sprouts lots of leaves and
my cackatoo deeply appreciates the hundreds of pea-sized fruit it
produces every year.

I've found that I get much more vigorous growth (and more fruit) if I
prune my peppers sharply every spring, just as they're starting to
show signs of new growth.

--

www.midnightbeach.com
Old 23-07-2005, 09:54 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Jon Shemitz wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Peppers, however, depending on the variety and the severity of the
winter, CAN come back! I have a Chile petin right now out in the main
garden bed that is over 4 years old and it's huge. The plant looks dead
in the winter, but I leave it there and it re-sprouts lots of leaves and
my cackatoo deeply appreciates the hundreds of pea-sized fruit it
produces every year.

I've found that I get much more vigorous growth (and more fruit) if I
prune my peppers sharply every spring, just as they're starting to
show signs of new growth.

Interesting, as I had to really prune this one last winter!
We were installing a new "pop-up" greenhouse where this plant was living
and I had to cut it back so it'd fit properly in the back corner. :-)

It's bigger and better than ever this year.... Looks like I never cut it
in the first place!

Freya bird is thrilled. ;-)

The plant is a wild volunteer. I did not plant it, but I protect it.
--
Om.

Old 24-07-2005, 06:39 PM
RR

"Ottawa" wrote:

I am new to gardening and plannted tomatoes, zuchinnies, peppers and
eggplants this year. After the season is done for this year, do any of
these grow back the following year or do I have to replant them?
Thanks

Where are you located? Primarily, what is your latitude?
Is your "handle" also your location?
All the plants listed are perennials with the exception of zucchini
which is an annual. However, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are all
very frost sensitive perennials so, if you live in an area where there
is any chance of frost they will not survive.
Some people have good results with peppers by bringing them inside in
pots for the winter and pruning them back in spring. Don't know how it
might work with eggplants and, because of their indeterminate nature,
it's not practical with tomatoes.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 25-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Ottawa

Hey finally a another person who lives close by. Yeah, I'm in Ottawa and
just started gardening this year. I have some in pots and some in the
ground. I have lemon boys, sweet 100's, romas, big boys, beef steaks. So
I'm guessing that since Ottawa definitely frost, I will have ot replant all
my tomatoes and plants next year unless I bring the peppers indoors.

Old 26-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Jim Carter

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:57:00 -0400, "Ottawa"
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Hey finally a another person who lives close by. Yeah, I'm in Ottawa and
just started gardening this year.

This is Perth checking in, not very far from you.

Have you found this to be a lousy year for tomatoes? Some that I
have in pots have what I believe is one of the wilts. The plants
growing in raised beds get blossom end rot as fast as I can throw
them away. I think the heat and random rain showers are
responsible.

Prudens Purple, Dufresne, White Beauty, Window Box Roma, Great
White, UltraGirl and Early Girl.

This is by far the worst year ever for my little darlings.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 27-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Ottawa

I started tomatoes b/c some of my friends had them and they were amazing
last year but I found that my plants this year are fruiting a lot slower and
later than they should. Thiis is for my peppers, zuchinnis, eggplants as
well. I agree with the heat and random showers. I also found though that
my potted ones are doing better than the ones in the ground.

Old 27-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Brent

I'm on the north shore of PEI and my tomatos that were tilled under last
fall have come up nicely, albeit about 1/2 the height of the ones I started
from seed in April. We are a 5b on the north shore here. I planted Romas
and Duchess, which are a stakeless compact bushy. All seeds from Vesseys.
As for the fella in perth, my buddy has a cottage on Dalhousie lake near,
watsons corners and his tomatoes are doing quite well (except for the
occasional deer)
.. .