Old 10-03-2003, 11:00 PM
jduprie

Default Hi iron in water - problem or not?

Hi folks,
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank (125 Gal, fresh, planted),
and was wondering if hiogh iron levels will be a problem. The current level
is .640 mg/L (yes thats not a typo). Ph is 7.8, and hardness is 59 (Calcium
carbonate). The only thing that seems out of whack is the iron... I have a
water softener (ionic collumn) that brings the iron levels way down, so I
*could* just use the softened water, but its a lot easier (plumbing wise) to
use the untreated water......

Any suggestions?

thanks
--JD

Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Robert Flory

"jduprie" wrote in message
Hi folks,
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank (125 Gal, fresh, planted),
and was wondering if hiogh iron levels will be a problem. The current

level
is .640 mg/L (yes thats not a typo). Ph is 7.8, and hardness is 59

(Calcium
carbonate). The only thing that seems out of whack is the iron... I have a
water softener (ionic collumn) that brings the iron levels way down, so I
*could* just use the softened water, but its a lot easier (plumbing wise)

use the untreated water......

Any suggestions?

thanks
--JD

No personal knowledge, but I was just reading this today...

http://www.marineland.com/reports/2Iron.asp

Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Robert Flory

"jduprie" wrote in message
Hi folks,
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank (125 Gal, fresh, planted),
and was wondering if high iron levels will be a problem. The current

level
is .640 mg/L (yes thats not a typo). Ph is 7.8, and hardness is 59

(Calcium
carbonate). The only thing that seems out of whack is the iron... I have a
water softener (ionic column) that brings the iron levels way down, so I

Old 11-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Dave Millman

jduprie wrote:

Hi folks,
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank (125 Gal, fresh, planted),
and was wondering if hiogh iron levels will be a problem. The current level
is .640 mg/L (yes thats not a typo). Ph is 7.8, and hardness is 59 (Calcium
carbonate). The only thing that seems out of whack is the iron... I have a
water softener (ionic collumn) that brings the iron levels way down, so I
*could* just use the softened water, but its a lot easier (plumbing wise) to
use the untreated water......

High iron can be a contributor to green thread algae. When my tank is nutrient
limited (low in Nitrate or traces), I can induce a bloom of the stuff by
increasing Iron to 0.2ppm. But when my tank is not nutrient limited, the algae
is much less likely to appear, even with high iron.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Marksfish

Hi folks,
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank (125 Gal, fresh, planted),
and was wondering if hiogh iron levels will be a problem. The current

level
is .640 mg/L (yes thats not a typo). Ph is 7.8, and hardness is 59

(Calcium
carbonate). The only thing that seems out of whack is the iron... I have a
water softener (ionic collumn) that brings the iron levels way down, so I
*could* just use the softened water, but its a lot easier (plumbing wise)

use the untreated water......

Any suggestions?

You could use aquarium plants that need an iron rich environment (Amazon
swords for instance), although I am not sure if it the type they can utilise
for growth. I always use a high iron content fertiliser to keep them a lush
green. Alternatively you could use polyfilters, but that would work out
expensive.

Regards

Mark

Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 PM
linda mar

if this is true, what does it mean when I get lots of beard algae on some of
the leaves (the green fluffy stuff, and some that looks like spider web
strand) while my anubias and sword plants look yellow?

it seems like if I increase the iron to feed the swords/anubias, I'll get
more of the green fluffy stuff?

linda

Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Dave Millman

linda mar wrote:

what does it mean when I get lots of beard algae on some of
the leaves (the green fluffy stuff, and some that looks like spider web
strand) while my anubias and sword plants look yellow?

it seems like if I increase the iron to feed the swords/anubias, I'll get
more of the green fluffy stuff?

Your tank is defficient on nutrients. As you increase the nutrients necessary
for higher plants to succeed, they will outcompete the algae. Focus on getting
your plants healthy first.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:12 PM
linda mar

Hi Dave,

ok. I guess I need to add more iron then, to start (to get the plants more
green. the instruction says "as needed" so I don't have a good feel for
what would be enough, and I don't want to OD the plants/fish...)...

should I add more Flourish also (right now I'm doing the lower end of the
recommended dosage because of moderate lighting, 2x week). About a week ago,
I added some Flourish Tabs near all the sword roots... I don't know about
the swords (the Ozelots are quite prolific even without the root tabs. the
amazons are a bit weak in color), but my apongetons are definitely happier
with the root tabs...

Old 11-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Mark Trueman

I think you might also find that you need to supplement with magnesium in
order to get the iron to be taken in by the plants.

Someone more knowlegable may be able to help you here

Mark

Old 12-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Kcristy

See my post under "yellowing."
Cris

Old 12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Dave Millman

linda mar wrote:

Hi Dave,

ok. I guess I need to add more iron then, to start (to get the plants more
green. the instruction says "as needed" so I don't have a good feel for
what would be enough, and I don't want to OD the plants/fish...)...

If you have a test kit, aim for 0.1 ppm. From rereading your posts, it sounds
like your Iron is already at 0.6ppm? If this is the case, the yellowing is most
likely not caused by insufficient iron!

Let's start from scratch. Please send us your test results for:

Nitrate
pH
KH
Iron
Phosphate (if you have the kit)

Also please send us:

Tank size
Lighting
Substrate
Water change schedule & water type (hard tap, soft tap, whatever you use)
Current fertilizer dosing
Fish load