Old 11-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Mary Karr

Default Green Severum, 8", Pulling out plants - Normal?

Yesterday, my daughter brought to her home an 8" Green Severum because
if no one else was going to take it, they were going to throw it out.
She has a 55 gallon tank already going and they had a wide variety of
plants trying to become established. After they got home from work
today they discovered all but 3 small plants floating at the surface.

What we need to know is, is this normal? Or is it just upset at being
transported many times within a day's time. It was only at the pet
store 2 hours after being sold back to it by another customer.

My daughter was quite frustrated at what he did and called me to see if
I would resurrect my 55 gallon and take him. If he will settle down and
leave the plants planted, then she will keep him.

I suggested they replant and then get rocks or other ornamental items to
help hide the base of the plants. Maybe this would deter it from
pulling out the plants. It may eat them, but not pull them out.

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Mary

Old 11-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 06:51:06 GMT, Mary Karr
wrote:
plants trying to become established. After they got home from work
today they discovered all but 3 small plants floating at the surface.

What we need to know is, is this normal? Or is it just upset at being

It's perfectly normal. Many of the larger cichlids will do this.
The fish are re-arranging their surroundings, removing any possible
spots for predators to hide.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 11-03-2003, 07:54 AM
WD

"Mary Karr" wrote in message

What we need to know is, is this normal? Or is it just upset at being
transported many times within a day's time. It was only at the pet
store 2 hours after being sold back to it by another customer.

Most cichlids are at home in a rocky aquarium bare of plants and decor. They
don't seem to like it. I wouldn't expect the behavior to go away.

billy