GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   proper stocking of algae eaters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/10087-proper-stocking-algae-eaters.html)

Christopher 11-03-2003 09:22 AM

proper stocking of algae eaters

What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible but
its still there (I'm not counting the spot algae on the glass). What I'm
wondering is is it safe to get a couple more SAE's for my 125g or is it best
to leave a surplus of algae at all times? I would hate to have a SAE starve
to death from lack of algae (i do have tabs though).

LeighMo 11-03-2003 11:33 AM

proper stocking of algae eaters

What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible but
its still there (I'm not counting the spot algae on the glass). What I'm
wondering is is it safe to get a couple more SAE's for my 125g or is it best
to leave a surplus of algae at all times? I would hate to have a SAE starve
to death from lack of algae (i do have tabs though).

You could get more SAEs if you want. I have a dozen in my 75 gallon tank. (I
didn't intend to put that many in, but AquariumFish.net threw in some extras,
in case some didn't make it. They all did. And then the ones I intended for
my 29 gallon tank outgrew it, and I moved them into the 75, too.)

They won't starve. They'll eat flake and other fish foods. In fact, they're
first to the top of the tank at mealtime. They take flake so eagerly they leap
a inch out of the water trying to grab it first.

Leigh

Aqua 11-03-2003 03:20 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible but

If I were you, I would replace 3CAE with 10 otts. Its really worth it.
In my dictionary CAE is nothing but problem.

Dominic

Cool_Drool 11-03-2003 05:21 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a

tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible

but
its still there (I'm not counting the spot algae on the glass). What I'm
wondering is is it safe to get a couple more SAE's for my 125g or is it

best
to leave a surplus of algae at all times? I would hate to have a SAE

starve
to death from lack of algae (i do have tabs though).

someone else will tell you to loose the CAE, so I won't mention it *smile*

In it's previous life, my 125 heavily planted south american (mostly) tank
had the following algae eaters. They did a great job. no algae on plants,
very little on rock. There was one peice of driftwood that they never
touched, though. Maybe it tasted funny.

Anyway, here is what I had in it for cleaning up.

3 SAE (was 6, we had some jumping mishaps)
40 to 50 ottos (these guys are real cheap in indianapolis)
5 common pleco's
3 to 4 dozen ghost shrimp. I know they don't eat algae, but they clean the
bottom REAL good.
1 to 2 thousand MTS. hard to tell for sure.

All the above was in addition to the stuff I was growing to show off, which
were 5 large angels, and a school of about 50 or so neon's, and 5 clown
loaches.

Dave Millman 11-03-2003 07:35 PM

Christopher wrote:

What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible but
its still there (I'm not counting the spot algae on the glass). What I'm
wondering is is it safe to get a couple more SAE's for my 125g or is it best
to leave a surplus of algae at all times? I would hate to have a SAE starve
to death from lack of algae (i do have tabs though).

Lose the CAE, they can be trouble. Consider ancistrus catfish, ottos and amano
shrimp. Variety helps here.

WD 11-03-2003 07:59 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a

tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE, 3 CAE,
and 1 pleco and I still have visible algae in my tank, nothing terrible

but
its still there (I'm not counting the spot algae on the glass). What I'm
wondering is is it safe to get a couple more SAE's for my 125g or is it

best
to leave a surplus of algae at all times? I would hate to have a SAE

starve
to death from lack of algae (i do have tabs though).

Get some plants. They help deprive the algae of nutrients.

WD 11-03-2003 07:59 PM

"Cool_Drool" wrote in message
1 to 2 thousand MTS. hard to tell for sure.

MTS?

Philippe Lemaire 11-03-2003 09:02 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

Sorry if I already asked twice :

What about Rineloricaria Lanceolata (for green "Dust" algae) ?

Philippe

Christopher 11-03-2003 09:47 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

yeah I know, but my cichlids don't seem to have problems with them, I have
had them for about 5 months now. I doubt the LFS would even buy them back
or take them back for free.
om...

Christopher 11-03-2003 09:47 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

shrimp are not a possibility...my cichlids LOVE shrimp

Cool_Drool 12-03-2003 05:32 PM

"WD" wrote in message

"Cool_Drool" wrote in message
1 to 2 thousand MTS. hard to tell for sure.

MTS?

malaysian trumpet snails

E. Mito 14-03-2003 02:08 AM

proper stocking of algae eaters

In article ink.net,
"Christopher" writes:

What would everyone suggest for the proper number of algae eaters in a tank?
I assume this varies a lot from tank to tank, but I'm up to 7 SAE,

Christopher,

Did you happen to find your SAEs anywhere in L.A. or did you have to mail order
them?

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Philippe Lemaire 16-03-2003 01:44 PM

proper stocking of algae eaters

(Too) late answer :

This is not a shrimp :-) !

Could be call in English :

Red Whiptail Catfish...

Philippe

Christopher 08-04-2003 07:08 AM

proper stocking of algae eaters

I had to mail order them from www.aquariumfish.net but if you are just
ordering the SAE's then you are going to get gouged on shipping, does anyone
know a place to get SAE's in L.A.?