Old 11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Bob A

Default brown hair algae?

I got some otos (8 in a 55g tank) and they are eating diligently, but there
is some type of algae on many of the plants (not all) and rocks, etc. The
worst place is the power filter intake (not the actual intake, but the
pipe). Its longer and thicker there. On the plants it is like a 3-5mm thin
fuzzy strand. A light brown color.

On my Anubias Barteri, there is something that may be the same or may be
different, it appears gray/black.

The problem with the green spot algae has almost gone away. What there is,
I am taking care of easily with a magnet-type cleaner on the glass.

55g w/110w
DIY CO2 (which is not working so well) 10ppm @ KH3, pH7.0
0 ammonia/no2, 10ppm no3
I am dosing with TMG, but haven't for about 3 days.
Currently 15-20g water change every 4 days (trying to help the situation)

I'm wondering if I should try to starve the algae, or feed the plants.
That's confusing. Please don't ask me to bleach my plants.

Actually, this stuff doesn't look THAT bad at this point, but I'm afraid of
growth.

thanks so much,

bob allred

Old 11-03-2003, 03:32 PM
WD

"Bob A" wrote in message
I got some otos (8 in a 55g tank) and they are eating diligently, but

there
is some type of algae on many of the plants (not all) and rocks, etc. The
worst place is the power filter intake (not the actual intake, but the
pipe). Its longer and thicker there. On the plants it is like a 3-5mm

thin
fuzzy strand. A light brown color.

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#hair

Tough stuff.
hth

Old 11-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Trygve Lillefosse

The problem with the green spot algae has almost gone away. What there is,
I am taking care of easily with a magnet-type cleaner on the glass.
55g w/110w
DIY CO2 (which is not working so well) 10ppm @ KH3, pH7.0
0 ammonia/no2, 10ppm no3
I am dosing with TMG, but haven't for about 3 days.
Currently 15-20g water change every 4 days (trying to help the situation)
I'm wondering if I should try to starve the algae, or feed the plants.
That's confusing. Please don't ask me to bleach my plants.

You should starve the algae by feeding your plants.

Get that co2 going, and start checking for nutrition deficiencies in
your plants. If they dont have enogh nutrition, they should get some.

Note that you should not by any means add phosphate as this is the
nutrient you want to remove by promoting plant-growth.

The nutrients most often needed in this situation (YMMW) is Iron or
Potassium.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.