GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Algae ID? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/101031-algae-id.html)

[email protected] 06-08-2005 02:19 AM

Algae ID?

I have a type of algae I'm unfamiliar with. It's growing on glass and
the leaves of plants. I've seen very little on driftwood. Can someone
ID it for me?

Most are about 1/8"-1/4" long, and consist of a "stem", with strands of
"hair" coming out the end. The stem and the hair each take up about
half of the total length of each one. They appear to be white.
(Perhaps, if bigger, they would show another color). At first I
thought they might be hydra, but I've changed my mind. They look more
like an algae. The hairs are many, and strandlike, rather than few and
tentacle like. It's growing everywhere!

Any ideas? What about suggestions for removal? My tank is a 55 gallon
planted tank, with DIY CO2, and, currently, 120 watts of light. I can
up the wattage to 160 by adding a bulb. I have a pleco and otos and
neither seem to be interested in eating it. (The pleco is 12"-13"
long.)

Thanks very much for any suggestions,
Wes

[email protected] 06-08-2005 02:24 AM

Additional information:
They are growing in low-light areas as well as well as high light area,
including on the BOTTOMS of leaves, and glass in shaded areas of the
aquarium. I thought this might be relevant.

Thanks again for any help,
Wes