Old 07-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Doug and Lois

Default "Building" water

I have a 55 gallon plant tank. I am just curious about what others use for
water. By that I mean.....

The water in my community is very high in Phosphate. NOT a good thing. But,
I have an RO DI system (I also have a reef, which is why I have it). While
it makes wonderfully pure water, it takes out the good stuff plants need.
So.......

Anyone else using RO DI water and if so, what additives are you using to
rebuild it back up to a reasonable chemistry?

Just curious.

Doug

Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 PM

High PO4 is good for planted tanks.

SeaChem, Kent virtually every brand now sells PO4 additives for planted
tanks.

Tap is fine.

See www.BarrReport.com and articles- Estimative index

Using RO will only make more work for yourself.
Why take something out and then add it back?

Marine reef tanks have no plant biomass to speak of, so you attempt to
limit micro algae.

But if you use a large macro algae, seagrass biomass refugium, you have
excellent results.

Making the water change easy as possible will help.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Doug and Lois

Excellent reference. Thanks.

Doug

"George Pontis" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

says...
I have a 55 gallon plant tank. I am just curious about what others use
for
water. By that I mean.....

The water in my community is very high in Phosphate. NOT a good thing.
But,
I have an RO DI system (I also have a reef, which is why I have it).
While
it makes wonderfully pure water, it takes out the good stuff plants need.
So.......

There is a formula, corrected from an earlier post, using baking soda,
potassium
chloride, calcium carbonate, and epsom salt ... at the krib. See the
article
penned by Roger Miller he

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/dosing.html

In that same thread there are several other good articles that discuss how
measure these household chemicals, what concentrations to expect when
using these
amounts, etc. Additional components are needed for growing plants. I think
that
PMDD would supply them all.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Doug and Lois

I was under the impression that, while plants need phospahte, high phosphate
levels favor algae growth. Is that not true?

Doug

oups.com...

Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Rocco Moretti

oups.com...

Doug and Lois wrote:
I was under the impression that, while plants need phospahte, high

phosphate
levels favor algae growth. Is that not true?

Doug

I've been told it's not the *level* of phosphate that leads to algae,
but the balance of nutrients. If all nutrients are balanced, the higher
plants can outcompete the algae. If one of the nutrients is off, higher
plant growth is stunted, and the algae can take off with the remaining
portion of the others. (Algae having much lower limiting nutrient levels.)

One place that talks about the N/P balance:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquar...dfield_eng.htm
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Fallout

"Rocco Moretti" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug and Lois wrote:
I was under the impression that, while plants need phospahte, high

phosphate
levels favor algae growth. Is that not true?

Doug

I've been told it's not the *level* of phosphate that leads to algae, but
the balance of nutrients. If all nutrients are balanced, the higher plants
can outcompete the algae. If one of the nutrients is off, higher plant
growth is stunted, and the algae can take off with the remaining portion
of the others. (Algae having much lower limiting nutrient levels.)

One place that talks about the N/P balance:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquar...dfield_eng.htm

I recently put in a phosphate sponge to bring the level down to below the
current ~0.25ppm, believing that any detectable trace of phosphates was too
high. With a nitrate reading of 15ppm I should be adding phoshphate.

I am very reluctant to add phosphate but I would dearly like this to work.
Has anyone here got rid of algae by adding phosphate according to the
Redfield ratio?

Thanks - Jon