Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Justin

Default Possibly a stupid question re dosing...

Hi all,

Some of you may laugh at this question, but here goes... As some of you may
know from my previous posts, that you all help me with and for which I am
very grateful, that I have started dosing NPK plus other nutrients as I have
a lack of it in my water...

My question is... I am dosing Epsom Salts, magnesium sulfate at 3ppm per
week (i made the solution as per chucks calculator to give me .45ppm per
1ml) and I am also dosing K2SO4 at 1.5 tsp approx 7gm twice a week. I am
just wondering if all this sulphate (or sulphur not sure which it is) is
dangerous...? I realise that all living things need sulfur, but is there
too much for a planted aquarium?

Tanks specs
200lt (approx 50gal)
MH lighting
heavily planted
Pressurised CO2
PH 6.8
KH 2
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 1.5ppm
dupla plant 24 4-5 drops a day.

Thank you all.

justin.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that the plants do need some sulfate, but have
little use for Cl-. I've been dosing K2S04 for a while with no ill
effects. The Mg++ comes for free in my tap water so I don't dose
epsoms. I think the Cl- isn't supposed to be very good for sof****er
fish because it's an ion from salt? I'd love to have better information
about the differences between sulfate and chloride in planted tanks too.

Anyway, water changes should keep any unused sulfate to reasonable levels.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__