Old 15-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Neil Woodman

Default thoughs on Takashi Amano

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I think
he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I find my
enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some of his
books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?
Old 15-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-08-15, Neil Woodman wrote:
What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I think
he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I find my
enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some of his
books and that just inspires me to keep going.

I'm not much of a fan of other tanks. Not because they don't impress
me, but because I'm more solitary as a hobbiest. I love to check out
fishtanks when I can, but I don't go out of my way or buy books to do
so.

But I bet I own more of my knowledge of tanks and the things that I can
do to Amano than I ever understand. As well as lots of you guys!

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 15-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Neil Woodman

On 2005-08-15, Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I think
he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I find my
enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some of his
books and that just inspires me to keep going.

I'm not much of a fan of other tanks. Not because they don't impress
me, but because I'm more solitary as a hobbiest. I love to check out
fishtanks when I can, but I don't go out of my way or buy books to do
so.

But I bet I own more of my knowledge of tanks and the things that I can
do to Amano than I ever understand. As well as lots of you guys!

Thanks for the reply Ross. I guess different people approach it in
different ways. Certainly in my case the thing that drives me is to one
day have a tank with an aquascape that is in someway near what Amano
does. That's never going to happen but I can dream I guess!

I'm also really interested in ADA equipment, it seems to be made to such
a great standard, in terms of design and craft I have never seen
equipment like it in other areas of the hobby.
Old 16-08-2005, 10:29 PM
NCG NCG is offline
Registered User

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Amano. He's clearly talented and has done more for the planted aquarium than anybody else, but his aquascapes look a bit too sterile to me.

As for the ADA equipment, I've not seen them anywhere in Britain, but www.aquaessentials.co.uk are selling hand-crafted CO2 diffusers and bubble counters which are excellent. I have bought a diffuser from them and not only do I sometimes forget I have one (as I don't see it at all), it also works much better than anything I've had before. Worth taking a look, especially as they're on sale now.

Old 17-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Elaine T

Neil Woodman wrote:
What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I think
he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I find my
enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some of his
books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf through his
books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all the light and fish
he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar aquascapes with classic
lower light plants.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

On 2005-08-15, Neil Woodman wrote:
-
[...]

brilliant link, those diffusers are just what I'm looking for and a good
price too, brilliant.

The CO2 indicator is a direct copy of the ADA one though, not that that
is a bad thing!

Old 17-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Neil Woodman

Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I
think he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I
find my enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some
of his books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf through
his books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all the light
and fish he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar aquascapes
with classic lower light plants.

Me too, the problem I have is while I can get the plants growing for a
while eventually the tank begins to look a bit rubbish. Its the long
term maintenance I have the biggest problem with, most of my tanks last
a few months before needing a revamp.

Old 18-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Neil Woodman

Justin wrote:

Hi all,

From what I have seen of Amano I think his tanks are breathtaking...
But they almost touch on the unreal in my opinion... Some of them
appear to be dreamlike in that they almost look imposible to create.
I have 3 of his books on lay-by (lay-away I think it's called in
America) just so I can get some inspiration... But I doubt I will be
able to re-create what he has mastered. I have been told though that
he makes his tanks for one photo and then after that they "fall apart"
as they are not designed for a permanent display, I would like to
think that this person doesn't know what they are talking about...

"Neil Woodman"
wrote in message
Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I
think he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever
I find my enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf
through some of his books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf
through his books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all
the light and fish he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar
aquascapes with classic lower light plants.

Me too, the problem I have is while I can get the plants growing
for a while eventually the tank begins to look a bit rubbish. Its
the long term maintenance I have the biggest problem with, most of
my tanks last a few months before needing a revamp.

I must say I agre with you. I think the rumour that Amano only sets up
these tanks for a few weeks and then dismantles them has been going
around for a while, but I read that his tanks run for 2 years +. I can
say that in the latest 2005 ADA catalogue there is a picture of a tank
which I've seen previously online and there is a definite long term
growth thing happening there.

For me its the aquascapes I find so inspiring, ok there are some I'm not
that into but can appreciate but others just blow me away, I'm thinking
of the one at the end of Nature Aquarium World using huge bits of
driftwood and congo tetras. Amazing stuff.

Old 18-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Elaine T

Neil Woodman wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I
think he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I
find my enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through some
of his books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf through
his books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all the light
and fish he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar aquascapes
with classic lower light plants.

Me too, the problem I have is while I can get the plants growing for a
while eventually the tank begins to look a bit rubbish. Its the long
term maintenance I have the biggest problem with, most of my tanks last
a few months before needing a revamp.

My tanks need pruning, but what do you mean by a revamp? I've moved
quite a bit, so the longest I've had a planted tank up was 3 years. I
divided a few crypts, thinned vals, and had to continually clip and
replant the stem plants. Sometimes a plant will stop thriving and I
replace it. I consider that normal maintenance for a planted tank.
It's kind of like deadheading a flower garden and seeding new annuals.
Is that what you mean by revamp?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 19-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Neil Woodman

Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

[...]

Yeah I would say so, replacing plants that kind of thing, sometimes some
just die off etc. That is what I mean.