Old 23-08-2005, 05:10 PM
MAG

Default Good online source for MH ballast capacitor?

Hi folks-

repeatedly blowing the GFCI protector, I'm now thinking the capacitors
on the transformers are the likely culprit. Long story, but it's my best
theory so far and I'm wanting to change them out.

They are Magnetek VC10040CBTR 005-1184-MF.

You'd think that with that info a quick google search would turn up
plenty of suppliers but I'm having trouble.

I pull up a couple hits showing indeed this capacitor is commonly used
with MH transformer circuitry, but haven't found a place that actually
sells just the capacitors.

Any help in finding an online source (in the US) appreciated.

Sincerely,

Marc
Old 24-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Daniel Morrow

"MAG" wrote in message
.net...
Hi folks-

repeatedly blowing the GFCI protector, I'm now thinking the capacitors
on the transformers are the likely culprit. Long story, but it's my best
theory so far and I'm wanting to change them out.

They are Magnetek VC10040CBTR 005-1184-MF.

You'd think that with that info a quick google search would turn up
plenty of suppliers but I'm having trouble.

I pull up a couple hits showing indeed this capacitor is commonly used
with MH transformer circuitry, but haven't found a place that actually
sells just the capacitors.

Why not just get a new capacitor with the same specs? Good luck.

Old 25-08-2005, 06:21 AM
George Pontis

In article , says...

Assuming you know the part# or (voltage, mfd, style) you might try:

www.digikey.com

www.jameco.com

www.rpelectronics.com

http://www.allelectronics.com/

http://www.bgmicro.com/shop.asp

Capacitors for power applications like this often have one or two important specs
that are not printed on the case. (for example: equivalent series resistance)

I don't want to be alarmist, but a substitute part even with identical voltage and
capacitance ratings could fail catastrophically. If the original component shows a
manufacturer and model number in addition to the capacitance and voltage, then the
OP could seek an identical replacement from one of these distributors. If not,
then the safe route would be to pay the $27 to get a part from Hamilton.

Old 25-08-2005, 09:17 PM
MAG

In article ,
says...
[...]

Right, I agree. But for some reason nobody seems to carry the Magnetek
caps anywhere... Has Magnetek sold off the line to someone else?

Marc