GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   nutrafin CO2 system (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/10180-nutrafin-co2-system.html)

linda mar 12-03-2003 04:11 AM

nutrafin CO2 system

hi,

if I buy this CO2 system, is there a cheaper "co2 generating source" that I
can use later instead of buying their co2 generating chemicals?
(yeast/sugar, etc...)

also, how long does a typical chemical mixture last for a low KH, 30G
aquarium with moderate planting?

linda

Robert Flory 12-03-2003 05:23 AM

nutrafin CO2 system

"linda mar" wrote in message
hi,

if I buy this CO2 system, is there a cheaper "co2 generating source" that

can use later instead of buying their co2 generating chemicals?
(yeast/sugar, etc...)

also, how long does a typical chemical mixture last for a low KH, 30G
aquarium with moderate planting?

linda

Lot cheaper. 2 liter soda bottle, sugar, yeast and maybe some baking soda.
My big expense was the needle valve from Yardbirds, $5.00. Works just great
with a spare air stone.

It's not perfect, I need to upgrade the cheap airstone to some sort of
reactor, but that can wait till I put some real lights on the tank. Try
the DIY, if it gives you what you want you can up grade to something fancier
later.

Bob

Eric Schreiber 12-03-2003 05:57 AM

nutrafin CO2 system

"linda mar" wrote:

if I buy this CO2 system, is there a cheaper "co2 generating source" that I
can use later instead of buying their co2 generating chemicals?

Don't buy the complete system. You can get just the bubble counter
part from PetSolutions.com (part number 15517698). Connect it to a DIY
CO2 system (two-liter yeast bottle) using the supplied airline tubing,
and you're all set.

It works quite well. You can actually see the CO2 bubbles shrink
dramatically as they work their way through the bubble counter.

also, how long does a typical chemical mixture last for a low KH, 30G
aquarium with moderate planting?

Depends on the DIY recipe you're using. Lots of variations out there,
you just have to try them until you find one that works for you.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Jim Miller 12-03-2003 06:10 AM

nutrafin CO2 system

for a diy approach save yourself a heartbreat and get a juice bottle instead
of a "pop" bottle. the height to width ratio is lower and has a full width
base to make it MUCH less easy to tip. additional benefits are stronger
sides, typically with handholds, and a wider mouth for easier filling.

lots of different sizes to chose from including 64oz.

juice is better for you as well!

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Eric Schreiber 12-03-2003 07:26 AM

nutrafin CO2 system

"Jim Miller" wrote:

for a diy approach save yourself a heartbreat and get a juice bottle instead
of a "pop" bottle. the height to width ratio is lower and has a full width
base to make it MUCH less easy to tip.

That's a valid consideration. I manage to knock one of my 2-liter
bottles over just about every time I get near them. Requires that I
rinse and dry the tubing from time to time. Annoying.

juice is better for you as well!

No caffeine. Can't see any value in juice at all ;)

--
www.ericschreiber.com

linda mar 12-03-2003 07:45 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

Hi,

so is the container that comes with the nutrafin system not optimal for DIY
yeast brew? or is it just fancy version of a soda bottle..?

linda

Eric Schreiber 12-03-2003 08:35 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

"linda mar" wrote:

so is the container that comes with the nutrafin system not optimal for DIY
yeast brew? or is it just fancy version of a soda bottle..?

As far as I know, having not bought one, it's just a fancy soda
bottle. I'm sure that it works just fine, and probably as well as a
soda bottle. The only reason I say don't get it, is that there's no
point spending money on it when you can do the soda bottle approach
for free, and instead spend that money on a fish :)

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Robert Flory 12-03-2003 08:35 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi,

so is the container that comes with the nutrafin system not optimal for

DIY
yeast brew? or is it just fancy version of a soda bottle..?

There list of what is in the box.... It is a fancy version of the soda
bottle. In reality any container would work.

- CO2 Stabilizer
- CO2 Activator
- Designed for tanks up to 20 U.S. gallons (75 l), for larger aquariums use
multiple units
- Affordable, safe and user friendly means of CO2 supplementation for live
aquatic plants
- Easy to install
- Does not require constant adjustments
- All natural fermentation process
- Results evident in just 15 days
- Colorful display box

I'm sure the colorful box is important ;-)

Bob

Rick 12-03-2003 09:11 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi,

so is the container that comes with the nutrafin system not optimal for

DIY
yeast brew? or is it just fancy version of a soda bottle..?

linda

I got tired real quick with the DIY stuff, mixing 4 bottles for my 75 g tank
and yesterday went out and got a pressurized system. Just waiting for my
needle valve which is on order. If you go the DIY route you might try the
jello recipe it seems to last a lot longer.

Rick

Wilma Duncan 12-03-2003 11:12 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

Linda, I have one of these and really like it. I mix my own mixture. I just
fill the bottom up to the lower mark with sugar, add water to the top mark,
mix a half teaspoon of yeast with a little water and a half teaspoon of
sugar add this to my container and have co2 bubbling within a few minutes.
Wilma

Frank Mamone 13-03-2003 02:44 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

Linda,

I have one too and it works fine, but in retrospect, I would buy only the
diffusor and use my own bottle. You can buy it seperately at big als online.

Unless you really don't wanna make your own bottle get the whole kit.

-Frank

Rick 13-03-2003 03:09 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
Jello recipe?

2 x 85 g packs of jello
500 ml of hot water, shake well to dissolve
1.5 cups of sugar, mix
500 ml of cold water, mix
place in fridge until jello sets
add 500 ml of luke warm water and one package of champagne yeast or 1/4
(some use 1/2 tsp of regular yeast)

using the jello will almost double the amount of time you get from the
mixture.
I like the nice green shade myself. :-)
Rick

linda mar 14-03-2003 11:20 PM

nutrafin CO2 system

Hi everybody!

I found that diffuser is about $12, and diffuser with the bottle and initial
starter kit chemical is about $18.. given the gas prices these days, $6 is
worth the extra cost for me instead of dumping out soda (I'm a tea
drinker... so soda/juice bottle will be $1-$3 depending on what I "buy"),
connecting tubes (another $1 or $2 for the tubing, and some silicone for
sealing), buying yeast ($.50?) etc for the short term :-) (especially when
I'm buying glob of other things not available locally via mailorder.. it'll
still fit into the order without increasing the shipping :-)

thanks for all your input! it was very helpful (especially the jello
recipe.. that's A LOT of sugar...)

linda