Old 13-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Mike Noren

Default Suggestion?

Hello,
I'm setting up a 150 liter shallow-water Tanganyika tank.

It'll feature very strong light (metal halide); 10cm deep sediment
(0.5 - 1mm calcareous sand); strong to very strong water movement &
associated high oxygen level; high pH (about 8.5); "liquid limestone"
type hardness; and low nitrate and phosphate levels.

What plants would do well under such conditions? Vallisneria?
Old 14-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Craig Brye

Pistia Stratiotes-frequently seen growing in the coves of Lake Tanganyika
Hydrilla verticillata
Ceratophyllum demersum
Myriophyllum spicatum
Most Vals
Most species of Najas are also found in the lake

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

om...

Old 14-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Rich Conley

wiht that sort of light, your gonna need a lot of plants...or your fish
are gonna be living in green algae soup.

Old 15-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Mike Noren

Rich Conley wrote in message ...

(2x150W MH)
wiht that sort of light, your gonna need a lot of plants...or your fish
are gonna be living in green algae soup.

Well, all my aquaria tend to be experiment tanks, and this is no
different.

I intend to keep this aquarium with the same methodology I've
previously kept salt water: strong light with high color temperature
(10000K); no filtration; porous rocks; maximum diversity of small
life; and a thick sediment layer.

If that doesn't cut it to keep algae & nitrate at bay, I'll
supercharge the nitrifying bacteria with fructose (alcohol would be
better, but I suspect the fish might have views on that). I may also
dose kalkwasser/limewater, but I need to work out the freshwater
chemistry a bit better first.

Also in keeping with the sal****er philosophy I'm sampling sediment
from old & neglected aquaria, greenhouses and nearby lakes to get as
much small life (bacteria, protozoans, microcrustaceans, annelids,
snails...) variety as possible. The immense diversity of small life in
marine aquaria keep any one life-form from dominating, and although I
wont be able to approach those levels of diversity, I'll do as best I
can and hopefully get the same effect. It is most unfortunate I can't
get hold of tropical freshwater sponges, though, or a greater variety
of detritus-eating snails.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be plenty of algae in this
tank, but my hope is that I'll be able to keep the water clear, the
algae from taking over, and that there'll be plenty of interesting
life besides the fish in there.
Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Rich Conley

Sounds like me. Good stuff, sounds like you got it under control. I'm kinda the same way, I like
as much life in the tank as possible. Thats why I'm itching to try reefs.

I need a suggestion will Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Planting Suggestion Required Heather Edwards Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
A suggestion/question/request... BenignVanilla Ponds 8 02-04-2003 05:08 PM
Street Tree Suggestion James McMillan Gardening 8 13-02-2003 03:25 PM
Suggestion for smaller Winter Cabbage John Towill United Kingdom 9 20-12-2002 07:42 PM