Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Justin

Default sulphate of ammonia

hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question if I could. I have mentioned before that I
can only find KNO3 in 25Kg bags but when I was up purchasing my trace
element mix for my PMDD I found Sulphate of Ammonia... When i had a look at
the chemicals on the back, it has 21% Ammonium as Nitrogen and 23% Sulphate
I have done some research on the net and a chemical website says that it's
21% Nitrogen and 23% Sulphate as opposed to KNO3, which is 13% Potassium and
44% K2O (which I gather is 2 Potassium molecules bound to an oxygen
molecule??)... Can I use this as my Nitrogen source? It's in a 2kg bag and
would be easier than purchasing a 25Kg bag... I have read somewhere that
Ammonium is the preferred source of Nitrogen for plants, so i'm thinking I
should be safe...

Also, my trace element composition is a bit different from the one listed on
the krib, mainly the Fe is 1% lower... Does anyone think I should
compensate for this by putting in some Chelated Iron (which I pick up from
the local Kmart - a cheaper department store for non-aussies) for $4.00...?

Thanks for any feedback.

Justin.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
George Pontis

In article , says...
hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question if I could. I have mentioned before that I
can only find KNO3 in 25Kg bags but when I was up purchasing my trace
element mix for my PMDD I found Sulphate of Ammonia... When i had a look at
the chemicals on the back, it has 21% Ammonium as Nitrogen and 23% Sulphate
I have done some research on the net and a chemical website says that it's
21% Nitrogen and 23% Sulphate as opposed to KNO3, which is 13% Potassium and
44% K2O (which I gather is 2 Potassium molecules bound to an oxygen
molecule??)... Can I use this as my Nitrogen source? It's in a 2kg bag and
would be easier than purchasing a 25Kg bag... I have read somewhere that
Ammonium is the preferred source of Nitrogen for plants, so i'm thinking I
should be safe...

It is not a usable substitute in the aquarium. The ammonium sulphate would raise
the pH and result in free ammonia in the water. Also, Tom Barr has said many times
that ammonium is remarkably effective in creating an algae bloom. The one aquarium
use I know of is to use it as a source of ammonia for fishless cycling.

Also, my trace element composition is a bit different from the one listed on
the krib, mainly the Fe is 1% lower... Does anyone think I should
compensate for this by putting in some Chelated Iron (which I pick up from
the local Kmart - a cheaper department store for non-aussies) for $4.00...?

There is practically nothing that we can control in an aquarium to 1%, and the
useful concentration of iron is quite broad. The best advice I have heard about
the amount of iron in the planted aquarium is that one should maintain "a
measureable level". In other words, if you can detect iron with a test kit then
you have enough. An inexpensive Hagen Fe test kit can easily show iron below
0.1ppm. The high end of safety is something like .3 ppm, with some saying even
higher has not be shown to be unsafe.

George
Old 03-09-2005, 06:40 PM
David Dufresne

Justin a écrit :
[...]

If I were you, I'd try a drugstore for you KNO3. They name it Salpeter
and sell 250g bottles of it for about 3-4 dollars (that would be in the
first aid section imho)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Justin

Thanks George.

Glad I didn't buy it then!! Looks like it's the 25kg bag then....

Justin.

"George Pontis" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Copper Sulphate Dave Hill United Kingdom 61 09-04-2009 04:21 PM
[IBC] ammonium sulphate Michael Persiano Bonsai 17 02-09-2005 02:35 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 14 13-01-2005 09:47 PM
sulphate xtr396472 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-02-2004 06:59 PM
Copper sulphate Ray United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 07:06 PM