Old 14-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Chris Spierings

Default Algae battle 2

It would appear I'm faced with a new algae battle:

PH 7.2
KH 10
Nitrate 0 or unmeasurable
Nitrite 0 or unmeasurable
0 Ammonia
Iron very low but I dose weekly using Kent Marine's Iron supplement, one
cap per week
I cap of Flourish and Fourish Potassium once a week

I change ~20 gallons of water once ever two weeks

I'm injecting CO2 and have over 2 watts per gallon (206 total) going
into the 90 Gallon tank.

Plants are 4 Red Swords
A number of std vallisneria
4 Tiger Lotus
3 Crinum Thianum
Lots of E. Tellenus

I'm fitting a battle with blue green algae and a little black brush
algae.

The inhabitants are

4 Ottos
7 9 month old angels
4 Neon Rainbows
1 Bushy nose pleco
3 SAE (very large)
7 Corydoras
2 B. Lochata
7 Cherry barbs
4 Glowlights that have survived the Angels growth. I don't think the
fish load is too high given the measurements above

About the only way I keep the algae in check is to cover the the tank
for about a week and keep the lights off. That kills things back but 3
weeks later it starts looking rough again.

I've had these issues for a while. That was part of my motivation to go
to pressurized CO2 versus DIY thinking that my growth wasn't good enough
to out compete the algae. To get my CO2 where I wanted it I've shut
down a Empereor 280 as a filter and just rely on the Magnum 350 without
bio wheels. The CO2 is injected into a power head to have it diffused
into the water.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to proceed. I know my growth isn't
what it once was. I seldom have to pull out Vals the dwarf swords are
doing good so is the TIger lotus which I don't let shade the tank much.

So what do people think my best bet is for controlling the BGA? My
thought is to put in another powerhead to improve circulation.

I'm going to send the big SAEs down the road and find some little guys
to see if they are more interested in the BBA. Maybe some Amano's to go
after it too.

The BGA is what I"m most disturbed by. I'm wondering if I may be
nitrate limited. I'm also considering adding in some fast growers to
see how they hold up in part to see if they show deficiences.

Thanks

Chris

Old 14-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Dave Millman

Chris Spierings wrote: (edited)

[...]

Chris,

You are indeed nitrate limited. Since Nitrate is a macro nutrient, your
plants cannot succeed without it. This is a common enough occurance: after
some initial success with plants, growth slows or stops becuase the
increased plant load is eating it all. This has been the primary cause of my
BBA breakouts.

Flourish is a good trace element fertilizer, but heavily planted tanks need
3x the recommended dose.

So read up on dosing Nitrates, and watch those plants perk up.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

String algae (blanket weed) losing its battle. Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 2 06-05-2007 04:28 PM
Algae Algae Algae -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 23-08-2003 09:32 AM
Algae battle 2 Chris Spierings Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
2003 Battle Starlord Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
2003 Battle Starlord Gardening 0 24-02-2003 09:54 PM