Old 07-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Justin

Default Sorry all, it's me again with another fert question...

hi all,

In my last post re this I asked if I could use Sulphate of ammonia as my
Nitrogen source and thankfull I didn't as George advised that it will give
me algae problems... I have investigated my Nitrogen supply further and
found a couple of options that I hope I could get advise on...

I have two choices either Potassium Nitrate (as recommended for PMDD) or
Calcium Nitrate which is what I would prefer to use... I have a problem
with my tank not having enough calcium and it shows in my Rotala so I would
like to use this if I could... The only problem is it is 14.5% Nitrate 19%
Calcium and 1% Ammonium Nitrate... I realise that the ammonium is bad as
per Georges response to my last post, but as I will only be adding about 1
teaspoon to my PMDD mix, I was assuming that the filter could manage to
break down the small amount that would be added by my daily addition of
PMDD...

What does everyone think?

thanks in advance.

Justin.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Justin" wrote in message
hi all,

I have two choices either Potassium Nitrate (as recommended for PMDD) or
Calcium Nitrate which is what I would prefer to use... I have a problem
with my tank not having enough calcium and it shows in my Rotala so I

would
like to use this if I could... The only problem is it is 14.5% Nitrate

19%
Calcium and 1% Ammonium Nitrate... I realise that the ammonium is bad as
per Georges response to my last post, but as I will only be adding about 1
teaspoon to my PMDD mix, I was assuming that the filter could manage to
break down the small amount that would be added by my daily addition of
PMDD...

Hi Justin.

KNO3 (aka Potassium Nitrate) would be much better to use. How do you know
you have a calcium problem? I seriously doubt its a calcium problem. More
than likely its a co2 or Macro nutrient problem. Forget about the calcium
unless your water is extremely soft. Stay away from ammonium, use the
Potassium Nitrate. Rotala sometimes looks a bit shagged out when Trace
elements are low.

Dolomite pills are cheap and contain the right balance of Calcium/magnesium.
If you still think you have a calcium problem then use these instead of the
calcium nitrate.

Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 07-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Justin

Hi Cameron,

I think that it was on the Krib that I learnt about Rotala needed calcium
when it's growing tips die... I know that this is the problem as I have
purchased calcium citrate tables from the pharmacy and I add them to the
water and the rotala will grow, but I'm having to add 3-4 per week and the
tablets contain 250mg of calcium. If I stop adding them then the rotala
stops growing. This is the only variable that changes so it has to be it...

CO2 is currnetly at 23.8 as per chucks co2 chart and I dosing 1ml of PMDD a
day, and everything is growing great guns now - even though I had a
deficiency 2 weeks ago, the PMDD has been a great sucess... As I can tweak
it myself...

I just thought that as it only contains 1% ammonium nitrate and i'm only
adding 1teaspoon of it to 250mls of water then adding 1 ml a day with 30%
water changes weekly, the ammonium would be in such small amounts - with a
light fish load that the filter would break it down so it would be
harmless... Am I wrong? George said you can use it to kick start your
filter, so it must encourage bacteria in your filter right?

thanks

Justin.
"Dogma Discharge" wrote in message
hi all,

Old 07-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Justin" wrote in message
Hi Cameron,

I think that it was on the Krib that I learnt about Rotala needed calcium
when it's growing tips die... I know that this is the problem as I have
purchased calcium citrate tables from the pharmacy and I add them to the
water and the rotala will grow, but I'm having to add 3-4 per week and the
tablets contain 250mg of calcium. If I stop adding them then the rotala
stops growing. This is the only variable that changes so it has to be

it...

I too had the same symptoms you describe with Rotala, all I did was up my
nutrients and especially my co2 as recommended by Mr. Barr. My water is
moderately soft and so does not contain much calcium, the Rotala is still
looking good with no calcium additions. But if adding the tabs works for you
then so be it.

I just thought that as it only contains 1% ammonium nitrate and i'm only
adding 1teaspoon of it to 250mls of water then adding 1 ml a day with 30%
water changes weekly, the ammonium would be in such small amounts - with a
light fish load that the filter would break it down so it would be
harmless... Am I wrong? George said you can use it to kick start your
filter, so it must encourage bacteria in your filter right?

George Booth? This is the same guy that supports heating cables right?
Yes it will kick start your filter *in a new setup* as the form of ammonium
is Nitrites. Nitrites are converted to Nitrates which are absorbed by the
plants. Nitrates are tollerated by fish MUCH better than Nitrites so logic
tells me that the only form of Nitrite found in my tanks are from the fish
themselves, not from me adding more to the mix. Even small ammounts WILL
trigger an algae bloom, notably green water. If you have lots of light and
co2 very high then you *might* get away with it but I really would'nt chance
it.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 07-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Justin

Thanks for the heads up Cameron! It wasn't George booth, it was george
pontis, he replied to an earlier post of mine re sulphate of ammonia...

I have a MH light over a 2ft cube tank and a fair amount of CO2. I will do
what you suggest and use the Potassium Nitrate and if need be, just add the
Ca tabs to the PMDD mix.

thanks once again.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Justin" wrote in message

thanks once again.

The pleasure is all mine. Cheers for now.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron