Old 15-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Craig Brye

Default PMDD-Suggestions

I've been doing the plant thing for about 1 1/2 years now. After some
recent algae problems (minor so far), I've decided to ask for suggestions on
my dosing. I would like to know what people think I should add weekly to my
29 gal. aquarium with CO2 injection. I have about 4.2 watts per gallon (I
know people consider this a lot, but I like this and I'm also stuck with
it). I've been adding the ingredients dry lately, doing a 50% water change
weekly. Here is what I add... Would someone like to offer suggestions on
how much I should add? The pH is around 6.8 and the CO2 is around 25 ppm.

Mg (epsom salt)-haven't added any for the most part
KNO3-little over 1/4 teaspoon twice per week
K2SO4-1/2 teaspoon once per week
KH2PO4-around 1/16-1/20 teaspoon twice per week
Trace mix (doesn't have any Mg)-around 8 ml twice per week

Any ideas are much appreciated!

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 15-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Craig Brye

I have a JBJ lighting system. It's a 2x65watt set-up. I had one before and
liked it (had a problem with one of the fans), but now they've improved them
even more. The one I have is 24" long (they do make them in 30" long for
our sized tank), and I have made my own open top with this resting about
5-6" above the water line. Works really nice.

Old 17-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Jody

Craig,

Without doing all the math (I'll leave that up to you), check out the PMDD
recipe here http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html . At a
glance, I would say you are adding way too much fertilizer, and adding it
the wrong way. I haven't heard anyone recommend adding the dry ingredients
directly - it should always be dissolved in water. With that much light you
will be more susceptible to an algae outbreak than most folks, so you really
need to monitor your nutrients carefully. Depending on the type of algae,
you could be overdosing nitrates, phosphates, or iron.

Jody