Old 15-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Henry

Default Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll

I have a 30 gal heavily planted tank. Things seem to be going pretty well
...... except the tank is being overrun with snails. The snails have come in
with the plants (as eggs I presume), as I have never intentionally purchased
a snail. There are at least four different species, but I don't know what
they are (although I think one of them is a Ramshorn). Most of them are
still quite small, but some of the ones that I think is are Ramshorns are
getting up to the 3/4 inch range.

I have nothing against snails per se; in fact I would like to keep a few.
but I need to get rid of a bunch of them (there are literally hundreds). I
would appreciate help with the following issues:

Are there any (relatively small) fish that will eat them but not dig up or
damage the plants, and will not eat my other fish which include some small
Ottos and several dwarf Cories

What other types of control are recommended? Details appreciated. Is there
such a thing as some kind of snail trap?

Where do I go to identify the different species.

Which ones are "good" and which ones are bad.

Thank you.

Old 15-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Mike

Zebra loaches keep the snails in my 80 gallon planted tank in check. They
almost wiped them all out, but a few have survived.

If you want to get rid of them another way, try putting a piece of cucumber
in the tank. They will attach themselves to it and then remove the cucumber
and snails.

Old 15-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Charles

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:29:24 -0500, "Henry"
wrote:

[...]

If you don't have any small fish in the tank now, you can make a trap.
A pill bottle with a small opening cut into the lid, baited with fish
food and left on the bottom of the tank.

the opening has to be large enough for the snails to get in, small
enough that the fish don't.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 15-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Craig Morrison

Henry wrote:

I have a 30 gal heavily planted tank. Things seem to be going pretty well

[snip]

Are there any (relatively small) fish that will eat them but not dig up or
damage the plants, and will not eat my other fish which include some small
Ottos and several dwarf Cories

Zebra loaches (botia striata) would be good for the size tank you have. Try to
get at least 3 if you have the room. They like to be in groups.

Yoyo loaches (botia almorhae) would be my second choice, but they would
eventually get too big for a 30..

Clown loaches (botia macracantha) would be my last choice. They would
definitely outgrow your tank.

Old 15-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Aqua

Zebra loaches (bootie striata) would be good for the size tank you have.
Try to
get at least 3 if you have the room. They like to be in groups.

Yoyo loaches (bootie almorhae) would be my second choice, but they would
eventually get too big for a 30..

Clown loaches (bootie macracantha) would be my last choice. They would
definitely outgrow your tank.

If you have shrimps these loaches are not compatible.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 15-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Mike

My zebra loaches do not harm the amano shrimp in my tank. I have 3 zebras
and they leave the shrimp alone.

Old 15-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Aqua wrote:
Zebra loaches (bootie striata) would be good for the size tank you have.
Try to
get at least 3 if you have the room. They like to be in groups.

It's botia, not bootie.

If you have shrimps these loaches are not compatible.

I have yoyos and clowns and they don't bother my amano shrimp. They've eaten
a few ghost shrimp though.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv