Old 15-03-2003, 09:20 PM
s g

Default recommended aquarium plants for goldfish tank

I have a 125g goldfish tank that I will be setting up soon and was wondering
about recommended plants to put into it and dealers. I have medium sized
stream pebble rock for a substrate (this can be altered with potting, which
I have no problem doing) and temp will be from 70-75 f, and no CO2. As for
light, I am extremely flexible on this. That is another question I was
thinking about. I know about watts/gallon, and that some plants need low,
medium, and high light but I haven't read anywhere about the actual ratios
for these three light groups. Also, what would be an excellent plant bulb
(halogen?)? Also there is quite a bit of natural light coming in from both
sides of the room that the tank is in, I was also concerned how this would
factor in. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Samuel

--
to reply please take out nospam. from to: line

Old 16-03-2003, 01:32 AM
WD

"s g" wrote in message
I have a 125g goldfish tank that I will be setting up soon and was

wondering
about recommended plants to put into it and dealers. I have medium sized

Goldfish, IME, will eat most plants. My MIL has a 40 gallon gf tank and just
*continually* replaces anacharis. I keep trying to get her to give up buying
it, all that did was make her restock it from *my* overly successful
anacharis. They don't seem to bother the anubius nana or java fern, though.

Old 16-03-2003, 02:20 AM
E. Mito

In article NnQca.120619$qi4.60751@rwcrnsc54, "WD"
writes:

"s g" wrote in message
I have a 125g goldfish tank that I will be setting up soon and was

wondering
about recommended plants to put into it and dealers. I have medium sized

Goldfish, IME, will eat most plants. My MIL has a 40 gallon gf tank and just
*continually* replaces anacharis.

I helped a friend stock his goldfish aquarium with clippings from my own tank,
including foxtails, wisteria, ludwigia mullerti (or possibly repens; not 100%
sure on the species), and rotala indica. He had problems with the GF uprooting
his plants before and switched to fake plants for several months. When he
planted the clippings I gave him, he said his fish seemed to like swimming in
and around the foliage but did not uproot anything.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 16-03-2003, 02:56 AM
zxcvbob

WD wrote:

"s g" wrote in message
I have a 125g goldfish tank that I will be setting up soon and was

wondering
about recommended plants to put into it and dealers. I have medium sized

Goldfish, IME, will eat most plants. My MIL has a 40 gallon gf tank and just
*continually* replaces anacharis. I keep trying to get her to give up buying
it, all that did was make her restock it from *my* overly successful
anacharis. They don't seem to bother the anubius nana or java fern, though.

I've had a planted GF tank with "jungle val", Amazon swords, elodea, and
java ferns. The fish didn't bother the val or the java ferns at all.
They nibbled on the swords a little but didn't cause a lot of damage.
When the swords were small, the fish would uproot them. They really ate
the elodea, but it grows so fast it was able to almost keep up with
them.

Hope this helps,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 16-03-2003, 04:08 AM
kush

Sagittaria subulata is a good pick for a goldfish tank. It's "durable,"
prefers cooler temperatures, and is excellent for promoting water quality.
Use a well established clump initially to minimize uprooting problems (the
potted dwarf sags from AZ Aquatic Gardens are a great bargain).

kush

Old 17-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Robert H

"s g" wrote in message ...
I have a 125g goldfish tank that I will be setting up soon and was wondering
about recommended plants to put into it and dealers. I have medium sized
stream pebble rock for a substrate (this can be altered with potting, which
I have no problem doing) and temp will be from 70-75 f, and no CO2. As for
light, I am extremely flexible on this. That is another question I was
thinking about. I know about watts/gallon, and that some plants need low,
medium, and high light but I haven't read anywhere about the actual ratios
for these three light groups. Also, what would be an excellent plant bulb
(halogen?)? Also there is quite a bit of natural light coming in from both
sides of the room that the tank is in, I was also concerned how this would
factor in. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Samuel

Plants that like cold water: Bacopa, Ludwigia, Cabomba, Aponogetons,
Crinums

Madagascar Lace plants..in the Aponogeton family, I have some huge
plants that are over 22" tall
http://www.aquabotanic.com/shop/en-us/dept_11.html They love low to
mid 70s. Take a look at the picture

For light on a tank that large, you need around 3 watts per gallon of
water. Power compacts are the easiest. Go to http://www.ahsupply.com

Robert
Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Poe Lim

I'm groing Ceratopteris, Java Ferns, Anubias, spiral and corkscrew Vals,
some sort of Bacopa and some Elodea growing well; the Bacopa dn Elodea do
get worked on, but seems to be doing quite well. The Ceratopteris, Java
Fern, Anubias and Vals seems undistured or very minor nibbles. This is with
Lion Heads, Black Moors and Pearlscales.

--
Cheers,
Poe

to send email, add "email" to the end of oz

Old 19-03-2003, 07:32 AM
David Wee

Hmm, I keep 2 rather large goldfish in my 10 gallon (along with 3 SAE and
2 Ottos who just gave way to a new baby otto, its pretty cute, i never
realized it was even born until last week), in my planted tank. Goldfish
prefer tasty store food over the plants in the aquarium in my experience.
I have never seen them eat elodea/anachris only nibble at it. The texture
of elodea/anachris seems to sturdy for goldfish mouths to actually eat it
up.

The only problem is that goldfish will unroot *new* plants, and only
occasionaly at taht (maybe once or twice a week), but plants
that have an established root system will not get uprooted.