Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Justin

Default Flowering Sword

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with their Amazon Sword sending
up flower spikes? I started using PMDD about a month ago and since then my
tank has taken off... I am dosing at 1ml a day, which keeps my Fe at .4ppm
which appears to be right for my tank, it's great as I was having serious
problems with trying to stablise my Fe using the Dupla ferts...

Anyways, my sword has sent up a 2.5' spike with about 3 branches on it and
it has flower buds, but the don't seem to be flowering... I can see the
purple petals inside the buds, but they have been there for about 2 weeks
and are not doing anything... Some of the buds have leaves surrounding them
also. I have been drippling water down them about once a day as the MH
light appears to be drying them out... Is this what I have done wrong? I
just want to get it right, as there is another flower spike coming up now
and I would love it to flower...

I have done a search on the net and it says that the stalks will not flower
submersed, they will just grow more swords, but as most of the flower buds
have grown above the tank they should flower right?

Any advise would be great.

thanks.

Justin.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
[...]

I had a E. Uruguayensis flower outdoors this sumer. Like yours, it put
a stalk up emersed. The leaves and buds were on there for at least a
month before they opened, and the flowers opened one or two at a time
for the next two months. They were fragrant too! This spike was
growing in direct sunlight and didn't need any special treatment.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
John H.

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..
Justin wrote:
[...]

My amazon sword just sent up a stalk, has 4 tiny little plants along the
length. It is so interesting to see how different plants reproduce.