GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   moving a 5 gallon aquarium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/107888-moving-5-gallon-aquarium.html)

wormsburp 10-10-2005 10:10 PM

moving a 5 gallon aquarium

I have a 5 gallon planted aquarium, and I will be moving in a few
months locally.

I have read that you should completly empty the tank, but I was
wondering if I could leave the substrate alone because it's a small
tank?

I have three inches of substrate, one inch each of clay, soil, and
gravel.

Thanks :)

Gill Passman 10-10-2005 11:43 PM

wormsburp wrote:
I have a 5 gallon planted aquarium, and I will be moving in a few
months locally.

I have read that you should completly empty the tank, but I was
wondering if I could leave the substrate alone because it's a small
tank?

I have three inches of substrate, one inch each of clay, soil, and
gravel.

Thanks :)

I have taken 30% of the water out (normal change) and then just lifted
the tank to it's new location....not so much of an issue with a 5 gall
as with a 55gall :-)

Gill

NetMax 11-10-2005 12:45 AM

"wormsburp" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 5 gallon planted aquarium, and I will be moving in a few
months locally.

I have read that you should completly empty the tank, but I was
wondering if I could leave the substrate alone because it's a small
tank?

I have three inches of substrate, one inch each of clay, soil, and
gravel.

Thanks :)

Drain enough so that it doesn't slosh around (75%?) and slip a piece of
plywood underneath (a few inches bigger than the tank), for an easy way to
carry it. This works up to about 30g. jmo
--
www.NetMax.tk

CanadianCray 11-10-2005 03:36 AM

Yup I just do as Netmax said. I drain the water to the same level as the
gravel so it won't move around. Not much weight there to deal with when
moving a 5gal.

oups.com...

bassett 11-10-2005 12:41 PM

Small tanks are easy to move, stick a couple of bits of heavy cardboard or
plywood in the tank to act as baffles , and away you go.
bassett

"CanadianCray" wrote in message
.. .
Yup I just do as Netmax said. I drain the water to the same level as the
gravel so it won't move around. Not much weight there to deal with when
moving a 5gal.

oups.com...

PokoFish 11-10-2005 03:37 PM

I agree with everyone else here. A 5 gallon isn't very big, so it
won't be hard to move around. I moved a FULL 10 gallon tank before.
It was heavy!

Also, if you take most the water out of the tank, make sure you keep
the fish in the same water that they are used to and put most of that
water back into the tank so the fish don't go through much shock.

jansordimonn 19-10-2011 10:11 PM

I accept a 5 gallon buried aquarium, and I will be affective in a few months locally.I accept apprehend that you should completly abandoned the tank, but I was apprehensive if I could leave the substrate abandoned because it's a baby tank.