Old 14-10-2005, 07:57 PM
FishFanatic

Default Advice on semi-planted aquarium?

I'm making planters out of cross-stich sheets and nylon thread, then
when I have the right shape using aquarium silicone to cover them in
either aquarium gravel or river rocks (some of each.)

The substrate in the planters is going to be laterite mixed with
vermiculite, with pond fertilizer tablets (if I can find them) and each
planter will be 3-4" deep. 160 watts over a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm
planning on a few massive Amazon Swords and some other hardy plants.

Does this setup sound feasible? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

-cross-posting on req.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Old 14-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

"FishFanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm making planters out of cross-stich sheets and nylon thread, then
when I have the right shape using aquarium silicone to cover them in
either aquarium gravel or river rocks (some of each.)

The substrate in the planters is going to be laterite mixed with
vermiculite, with pond fertilizer tablets (if I can find them) and each
planter will be 3-4" deep. 160 watts over a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm
planning on a few massive Amazon Swords and some other hardy plants.

Does this setup sound feasible? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

-cross-posting on req.aquaria.freshwater.misc

I love your idea for planters. If you don't keep the surrounding air around
the tank warm enough (i.e. the room it is in) you will need an additional
heater. Then again it depends on the brand of heater you're using. An
ebo-jager would be fine as well as any comparable heater if any exist in
this context. In other words - an ebo-jager 160 watt heater would be fine
but you could play it say and get an additional heater. Most other heater
brands require more wattage per gallon to work efficiently enough. Good luck
and later!