Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Frank Mamone

Default DIY and PH and Aquaclear

How much PH change do you get with DIY CO2? The difference between morning
and evening for me is is about .1 . Probably safe that way, but there
doesn't seem to be much CO2 retention. My PH is 7.5 and my kH is 80ppm.

I'm using an Aquaclear filter and there's no way to avoid the watefall
effect. I tried puttin it on low but doesn't make much difference. I'm
thinking of changing the filter with a canister to get rid of the waterfall
effect.

Is anyone here using waterfall type filters having the same problem?

Thanks,

Framk

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Henry

Frank wrote:

"...there doesn't seem to be much CO2 retention. My PH is 7.5 and my kH is
80ppm.

I'm using an Aquaclear filter and there's no way to avoid the waterfall
effect. I tried putting it on low but doesn't make much difference. I'm
thinking of changing the filter with a canister to get rid of the waterfall
effect."

I am in a similar situation in my 30 gal with an Emperor 280 power filter. I
have a newly set up pressurized CO2 system with an Ehiem diffuser. I
currently have it bubbling at a rate of slightly less than 1 bubble/second
(50 bubbles/minute to be precise), but am not seeing much C02 retention. My
pH has barely changed (it is 7.4). My KH is about 60 PPM.

Does anybody (successfully) inject C02 using a power filter, or is a
canister\a necessity?

---- Henry

news

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Robert Flory

"Henry" wrote in message
Frank wrote:

Does anybody (successfully) inject C02 using a power filter, or is a
canister\a necessity?

---- Henry

I do just fine with a Emperor 280 on a 55, a whisper 10-20 on a 29 and a
tiny thing on a 10 gallon. I maintain between they run 15+, 15+ and 24+ PPM
respectively. All three have water levels above the lip on the discharge
chute. I use DIY, 2L/1gal , 2 2L, 2 2qrt bottles respectively.

I run things pretty wide open to maintain these levels.

Bob

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
dGH

You could try putting 1 or 2 U-tubes in the output end of the filter. This
would mean that most (if not all) of the water would return to the tank by
siphon action instead of overflowing into the tank. I use this same
principle on a drip system I made for filling my tank.

"Frank Mamone" wrote

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Frank Mamone

Unfortunately, I cannot raise the water level any higher without it touching
the glass top. If I was absolutely sure that is would help, I would get a
canister filter.

Actually I have an eheim doing nothing, but I need to get the tubing, intake
and output parts.

"Robert Flory" wrote in message
gy.com...

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Rick

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
news
How much PH change do you get with DIY CO2? The difference between morning
and evening for me is is about .1 . Probably safe that way, but there
doesn't seem to be much CO2 retention. My PH is 7.5 and my kH is 80ppm.

I'm using an Aquaclear filter and there's no way to avoid the watefall
effect. I tried puttin it on low but doesn't make much difference. I'm
thinking of changing the filter with a canister to get rid of the
waterfall
effect.

Is anyone here using waterfall type filters having the same problem?

Thanks,

Framk

I have DIY in a 77g tank for about another 2 days (my Clippard valve just
came in for my pressure system). My PH without CO2 was 7.6. I added 1 x 2
liter bottle and nada, I added another 2 litre bottle and might have had a
..1 or .2 drop. I added two more bottles and used a jello recipe and my Ph
has dropped to 6.7, my plants are pearling and growing like crazy . I use a
Rena micro bubbler to diffuse the CO2. They chirp a bit under pressure but
seem to do a good job.

Rick

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Robert Flory

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/doityourself.shtml

From: Michael Eckardt
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:21:31 -0500

----

I have come across a couple of sources who improve on the standard
water-sugar-yeast mixture for DIY-CO2 by using Jello as a moderating
agent. (Thanks Monika and John)
In fact, both Dennerle and JBL sell a modified DIY-CO2 system in which they
claim a more uniform CO2 production over the standard mixture. Dennerle
actually shows a graph on their containers which, if you believe it, shows a
much lower peak CO2 production and a longer evenly sustained bubble rate.

The DIY-Jello (or gelatine) recipe is something like this:
Add 2 packs of regular jello, not the light stuff, to an empty and clean 2l
pop bottle. Add boiling water to dissolve the jello, add your 1-2 cups of
sugar, and add enough water to fill the bottle to about 1.5l. Store in the
fridge overnight to let the jello set. On the following day, add 1 cup of
water and the yeast (1/8 teaspoon) on top of the jello. Attach your bottle
as normal.

couple of recipes......
Bob

Old 18-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Frank Mamone

Excellent. How long before it starts bubbling?

"Rick" wrote in message
a...

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
news
Where can I find the Jello recipe?

2 x 85 gram packages of regular jello add 500 ml (half litre) of hot
water,
Shake or stir well to dissolve. Add 1.5 cups of sugar, mix to dissolve,

add
500 ml of cold water and mix. Place in fridge until Jello sets. remove and
add 500 ml of luke warm water and one package of champagne yeast or

1/4-1/2
tsp of bread yeast. The color of the jello is your choice.

Rick

Old 19-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Rick

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
Excellent. How long before it starts bubbling?

you know I can't say I have ever checked how long it takes. I have 4 bottles
hooked up to 4 micro bubblers so I always have bubbles going on. I would
have to say that within a couple of hours though it should be bubbling away.

Rick

Old 20-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

I have an aquaclear filter in my tank and I'm successfully and consistantly
getting about 24-30ppm of C02. I have placed the tube and diffuser up the
intake of the filter...the small bubbles get sucked in and chopped up into
smaller bubbles with the impeller. I have raised the water level somewhat
higher to match the level of the outtake.

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape