Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Frank Mamone

Default Newbie Pruning

What is the proper procedure for pruning stem plants?

Do you trim the tops, re-plant the trimmings, and remove the remaining
bottom?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Dave Millman

Frank Mamone wrote:

What is the proper procedure for pruning stem plants?

Do you trim the tops, re-plant the trimmings, and remove the remaining
bottom?

In general, yes. Each plant is different, but lots of them put out roots
at nodesm and rooted clippings are a tad easier to deal with. Other plants
start to branch out when they hit the surface. For most of my plants, the
bottoms aren't worth keeping. Watch your plants and you'll figure it out.

Her are two Karen Randal articles that will help:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a...ic/default.asp
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a...ic/default.asp

Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

My ludwigia, hygrophila, and rotala have done amazingly well with leaving
the bottom stem and re-planting the clippings. If you throw the bottom away
then you are starting from fresh with a rootless stem. By prunning, the
original plant starts to grow shoots of leaves along the lower parts of the
stem instead of strictly on the crown...thus making the plant more bushier.

or did I read you right ?

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Dave Millman

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

My ludwigia, hygrophila, and rotala have done amazingly well with leaving
the bottom stem and re-planting the clippings. If you throw the bottom away
then you are starting from fresh with a rootless stem. By prunning, the
original plant starts to grow shoots of leaves along the lower parts of the
stem instead of strictly on the crown...thus making the plant more bushier.

or did I read you right ?

It is all a matter of personal preference, tasnk growth rate and individual
plant species. My bright red rotala macrandra can grow more than a half inch per
day, so my strategy there has been to replant the tops of half of the plants
every week, tossing the bottoms. This gives me a continuous range of heights in
the tank, plus big buckets of cuttings for sale. Keep in mind that when removing
the bottoms, there are often side shoots that can be replanted or sold. Also,
this plant tends to branch out when it hits the surface, so one stem becomes 3
or more at that point.

Bushier has never been a virtue in my tank.Overgrowth has caused me more
problems, from underestimating how much plant matter was in the tank and
underfertislizing as a result. See the recent thread "Clues that a major pruning
may be in order" on March 10.

newbie with question on pruning azaleas emerald Gardening 6 16-06-2004 01:04 AM
newbie ... Pruning akhtar Roses 1 14-01-2004 12:02 AM
Newbie Pruning Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:25 AM
Newbie Question - Pruning a Clematis Daphne Dean United Kingdom 7 09-04-2003 08:21 PM
Newbie Question - Pruning a Clematis - Thank you all Daphne Dean United Kingdom 0 07-04-2003 06:21 PM