Old 21-03-2003, 01:32 AM
dpots

Default DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer?

It sounds like I must be doing pretty good with my DIY Co2 setup. I
am using a 2 liter bottle and the nutrafin diffuser. My tank is a 60
gallon. I use the following mixtu 4 cups of warm water, 2 cups of
sugar, 1 tspn yeast. Gently shake together and in approx 20 minutes
it is ready for the tank. I get 1 bubble oer second with this setup
which will last for about the first 3 days. From there, the bubble
count will slowly reduce to 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds or so. I
change the bottle every week. I did find that the "red star" brand of
yeast seems to work better than the others (not sure why).

This setup has provided my 60 gallon tank with more than enough Co2.
My plant growth has been excellent and the ph stays steady at 7.6. I
get pearling throughout the entire tank.

One thing I experimented with and think works well, is that I made
sort of a non-flow area in the tank. In other words, one half of the
tank has a lot of water flow as provided by the aquaclear 500 power
filter. the other half of the tank has almost no current since I
planted lots of tall plants such as cabomba, hygro, foxtail, ambula,
and anubias. This is also the side where the Nutrafin diffuser is
located. I think that the calm water allows for much more diffusion
of the Co2 into the water. The plants on the side with the current
show signs of Co2 fertilization since they are pearling as well and
are growing steadily.

I have also found that the Co2 bubbles will get "stuck" to the wall of
the Nutrafin diffuser quite frequently. Any more suggestions for this
one?

I hope this helps anyone willing to try.

Dave

(David Wee) wrote in message ...
In article om,
Robert Flory wrote:
"David Wee" wrote in message

Another thought:

It seems that one can achieve a maximum CO2-water diffusion *rate* with a
powerhead/filter intake + bubble system, but retention of the CO2 will be
based on the water chemistry (pH, kH, not clear on this, but indeed it
seems chemically related).

check out
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Assuming no other buffering ions... there is a direct relationship between
pH, KH and CO2. Chuck Gadd has a calulator ... "The formula used for this
calculation is: CO2 (in PPM) = 3 * KH * 10( 7-pH ) where KH is Carbonate
Hardness in degrees. " The (7-pH) is an exponent, the formating got lost
in the cut and past.

Ahh. So is "CO2 = 3KH * 10^(7-pH)" an equation or a function? I.e. CO2 =
f(KH, pH). The differentiation matters if KH and pH are independent of
each other, so I am asking if kH and pH are independent.

I don't think water chemistry has anything to do with CO2 retention. That
is controlled by somebody or other's laws (hey it been 30 years since
college) that govern diffusion and etc.

Yeah, I think i used retention and current capacity equivalently, when I
should have made the distinction.

Dave

Old 24-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Frank Mamone

Interesting. So you have alot more total yeast that way.

What type of bubble rate are you getting?

"Phil Dietz" wrote in message
m...
"Frank Mamone" wrote in message

Phil,

Are you using a homemade bottle and what is you bubble rate and recipe

you
use?

I use the Hagen CO2 bottle. I use a semi-standard recipe:
fill 1st line with sugar
put in 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pour in proofed yeast starter
dump in 1/4 teaspoon of wine yeast
fill to next line with warm water
(dont shake)

For proofed yeast starter:
stir 1/4 teaspoon of quick-activing yeast in a 1/4 cup warm water
that has 1 TBS sugar in it. Let it stand until its foamy on top.

I found that using wine-yeast alone is "hard to start" and "fizzles"
after a few days. So I mix in quick-rise bread yeast.

My last batch lasted about 1 month which is comparable to those
special packets one can buy from Hagen.

I might try the Jello recipe next time.

Old 27-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Frank Mamone

I finally switched from the (Nutrafin) Hagen Plant Gro canister with a soda
bottle --- my first one. I used 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of yeast
(Fleishmann's) and
4 cups of water. I had trouble with the gas leaking at the cap, so put
silicone sealant which still leaked until it hardened. I 'll patch it with a
glue gun today as someone suggested.

Anyhow, I'm getting just slightly over 1 bubble per second! Works great.
Brought down my PH to 6.8 and results into a 21ppm CO2 according to the
chart. My water is KH is 4.5.

I also got rid of the Aquaclear, not because it's a bad filter , but I got a
real good deal for a Eheim 2213 Classic for 99$ CDN with media included!
They're liquidating the classic models. I also don't have to worry about the
surface agitation any more.

Thank you all for your recipe suggestions.

Frank

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
(David Wee) wrote:

1. Warm up water with the stove. Dissolve sugar in it.
2. Cool it down by adding cold water to the sugar water.
3. Seaparately, in the bottle, I add a pinch of yeast + about a teaspoon
of baking soda + two teaspoons of flour + more cool water.
4. Mix it up in the bottle.

Seems like more effort that you need, but if it's working for you, run
with it.

I put 1.5 cups of sugar into an empty two liter bottle. Then I put in
about one liter of warm water (use the baby bottle test - see if it's
too hot for your inner wrist) straight from the tap, filling the
bottle halfway.

I add a teaspoon of yeast (probably more than I need), put a cap on
it, and shake vigorously. The sugar dissolves in the warm water pretty
quickly, and I'm ready to go. I remove the cap, and attach the bottle
to my CO2 line into the tank.

The only real problem I have with my CO2 system is that I've got two
bottles, so I can rotate a fresh one on each week. Every flipping time
I mess with the bottles, one of them falls over. Without fail. Even
when I'm being very careful. This, of course, gets smelly yeasty
sticky sugary water into the CO2 line, and gums up the works, blocks
the flow, and generally annoys me.

--
www.ericschreiber.com