GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clown loaches now have ich (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/10828-clown-loaches-now-have-ich.html)

dGH 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

Clown loaches now have ich

I've had my 5 loaches for about 15 months now. I originally got them to
control snail population. I recently bought the Hagen CO2 system, and my pH
has dropped to 6.6 (from 7.6). The temp is at 84C (there are 2 discus in
the tank). kH is low at 1.8.

Suddenly, the clowns have ich. I'm treating using Clout at one-half the
recommended dosage. Is there anything I should be aware of? There are also
3 ottos and 2 corys in the tank.

At this small dosage, is it possible to cure the ich without harming my
loaches? I've got enough clout to dose for 10 days, and will buy more if
necessary. I don't really want to kill any plants either (well, hornwart
and duckweed could go to h*ll)

I realize the bioload is high in my tank, but it hasn't been a problem since
I drip water into the tank each day to what amounts to a 25 % change daily.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

dGH 18-03-2003 04:44 PM

Clown loaches now have ich

Thanks for the help. I'll pick up some Quick Cure today.

If I leave the lights off for that long, would it be better to disconnect
the CO2?

The drip system I have actually works really well. I just turn on the tap,
and drip filtered water into the tank. The "old" water flows out through a
siphon and overflow box I rigged up. Saves the hassle of lugging buckets of
water to the tank.

Once again, thanks.

350X_Rider 18-03-2003 07:08 PM

Clown loaches now have ich

IIRC, I turned it down, but not off... was probably 4-5 bubbles/sec to
1-2/sec... but not off...

drip system... I didn't get that... I thought you just meant top off... same
difference...

any pictures of your setup??

dGH 18-03-2003 07:20 PM

Clown loaches now have ich

I don't have any pictures, as I don't own a digital camera. Basically, the
filter setup looks like this:
http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/Dsc04423a.jpg

and the overflow looks similar to this:
http://www.adiscusdream.com/images/Overflow.jpg

Some ideas he http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/drip.htm

http://www.adiscusdream.com/hatchery/hatchery.htm

"Frank Mamone" wrote Just curious if you have photos of your drip system.