Old 25-10-2005, 04:56 AM
Bill Stock

Default Extricating Java Moss from Algae

My small 10 gallon tank is overgrown with Algae. The only plant in there
right now is a Java Rock (Lava rock with Java Moss). It seems to be some
form of String Algae, but it's not like any type I've seen before. It seems
much finer than the pond variety. After my Betta died, I stocked the tank
with Cherry Barbs, as I'd read that they might eat SA. But even if they did
like the stuff, I think they're outnumbered.

Can I dip the Java Rock in something like Potassium Permanganate to lessen
the Algae or is Java Moss too delicate for this? I'd also prefer not to have
a permanently purple Lava Rock.

TIA

Info:

26 watts CF lighting (More plants pending)
5 Cherry Barbs
Medium gravel
1 Java Rock
No fertilizer added