GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/108567-substrate-heater-cables-onyx-sand.html)

Fallout 28-10-2005 10:57 PM

Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

Hello all

I'm thinking of setting up a tank with a Seachem Onyx Sand substrate and a
heater cable. Reading about heater cables, I've seen it suggested that it is
best to cover the cable with a fine sand which distributes the heat evenly,
then cover this with the rooting substrate. Is this the way to do it, or
would the cable work just as well in the Onyx Sand, which I'm guessing is
quite a coarse grade of sand (I can only find it online).

I'd be interested to hear comments about Onyx Sand too if anyone has any.
Messing about with substrates is such a pain when the tank is set up I would
like to get this one right first time, if possible :)

Thanks - Jon

default 28-10-2005 11:15 PM

Fallout wrote:
Hello all

I'm thinking of setting up a tank with a Seachem Onyx Sand substrate and a
heater cable. Reading about heater cables, I've seen it suggested that it is
best to cover the cable with a fine sand which distributes the heat evenly,
then cover this with the rooting substrate. Is this the way to do it, or
would the cable work just as well in the Onyx Sand, which I'm guessing is
quite a coarse grade of sand (I can only find it online).

I'd be interested to hear comments about Onyx Sand too if anyone has any.
Messing about with substrates is such a pain when the tank is set up I would
like to get this one right first time, if possible :)

Thanks - Jon

Hi Jon, I'm using Onyx sand in a 20g and it is working fine. It has
a variable coarsness, from almost dusty to about .10 inches dia. The
particles are very sharp, probably not too healthy for cories or other
whiskered cats. I mixed it with black jungle gravel and it stays
fairly blended.

steve

[email protected] 29-10-2005 03:38 AM

Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

I have Cory sterbai and have bred them in Onyx sand tanks, not an
issue.
Cables, don't bother putting them in there. They honestly do nothing
for your tank. I've discussed the lack of usefulbness with cables, had
cables, (3 different brands over 12 years), know more about wetland
histol substrates than anyone wants to know. Save your $ and get a nice
light or Gas CO2 system, buy more plants when you startv the tank up
etc.

Add some mulm(vacuumed "dirt", or the dirt from filter sponges also
does the trick) from an existing tank. This adds precisely what is
missing from a new substrate and immedilately cycles the bacteria in
the tank with living bacteria. Also, per sqft of tank, add a handful,
of ground peat, add both the muylm and the peat to the bottom and cap
with 2-4" of onyx.

That's all you need to do.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Fallout 29-10-2005 06:12 PM

Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for your reply, Tom. If you think the advantage of a heater cable is
marginal then I shall probably spend that money elsewhere, as you suggest.

I like the idea of adding the mulm before the Onyx Sand, and it's something
I am self sufficient in too :)

I have always been nervous of using a layer of peat in case I use one with
additives by mistake, but I have time to find the right stuff for this tank.
It seems right that plants would need some organic material in their medium.

-Jon

ps: I intend to use the EI plant feeding method outlined on your highly
informative site.

Fallout 29-10-2005 06:13 PM

Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Jon, I'm using Onyx sand in a 20g and it is working fine. It has
a variable coarsness, from almost dusty to about .10 inches dia. The
particles are very sharp, probably not too healthy for cories or other
whiskered cats. I mixed it with black jungle gravel and it stays
fairly blended.

steve

Thanks Steve, that's the sort of info you don't get from an online store :)
Have you been pleased with the results, from a "plant-growth" point of view?

- Jon

default 31-10-2005 08:38 PM

Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

Yes I have, but that's not saying much. I"ve got 36 watts on the tank
for 1.5ish watts per gallon. I use Flourish excel every once in a
while and dose ferts weekly. The swords are healthy and the stem
plants grow okay.

In my 55g, with plain old aquarium gravel, the plants grown like
they're on steroids. This because they also get the benefit of 3wpg
and gaseous C02.

steve