Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Chris Galipeau

Default Plants with Silver Dollars

Hi!
I have a tank with silver dollars. First it was planted, but when I bought
Silver Dollars, they ate all my plants. I found out that they don't eat on
Java Moss. I wanted to know if someone knows other plants that Silver
Dollars will not eat?!?! I tried many, but for now, I only found Java Moss
that they will not eat. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted

"Chris Galipeau" wrote in message
. ..
Hi!
I have a tank with silver dollars. First it was planted, but when I bought
Silver Dollars, they ate all my plants. I found out that they don't eat on
Java Moss. I wanted to know if someone knows other plants that Silver
Dollars will not eat?!?! I tried many, but for now, I only found Java Moss
that they will not eat. Thanks!

What you're experiencing is typical - what is weird is I have never had that
problem with my silver dollars. I have a lot of java fern they won't eat,
plus a ton of hornwort they will not eat. Try those plants. Now my silver
dollars do uproot plants when given the chance (they uproot the java fern
when they get the chance but haven't for a long time because I have let all
of my java fern simply float since my silver dollars started doing that -
and java fern seems to do good even when floating after all they normally
float around in nature until they grab ahold of some rock or driftwood) but
other than that I never see them eat any of my plants. I feed my 2 silver
dollars 2 (total) hikari algae wafers in the morning and 1 (total) algae
wafer (hikari again) at night. Maybe my silver dollars are fed well enough
for them to not bother eating any plants? And contrary to what I heard a
chain pet store employee tell me I doubt my silver dollars ever harm any of
my fancy guppies I have in the tank, but I might be wrong. Good luck and
later!

Old 05-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Chris Galipeau

Well, I actually have 4 silver dollars with lots of Guppies, 2 neons, 2
botia, etc... and my silver dollars never attacked them. But I think they're
eating the guppy babies! hehe!
Thanks for your answer, I'll try Java Fern and Hornwort.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
JG

Hi Chris,

As herbivores, Silver Dollars will and do eat plants... as you've
experienced.

I've had limited success with java fern not being eaten, so I wouldn't rely
100% on the above poster's comments. Many aquarists say java fern is bitter
and that's why most fish won't eat it. I used to always wonder if these
folks tasted the plant to discover that or if their fish told them. As
for the SD's diet, I would include romaine lettuce, peas (without shells),
celery, cucumber or any other greens. The SD's really go for fresh veggies.
Fish being fish and herbivores being herbivores, they'll still pick at the
java fern, at least in the many years I've kept SD's.

www.jaysaquaria.com