Old 13-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Liz

Default New plant question, please help...

I asked this on another forum and got no answer, so hopefully you all
will have an idea:

Background:
On Friday the 4th, I set up a 6g aquarium with Flourite (lots of it)
and some plants. On Saturday the 5th, I added a betta and on Monday the
7th, I added Bio-Spira. Some snails came with the plants and I've been
removing them when found (I don't really like snails) - there haven't
been many - maybe 8 found. We are very careful about not overfeeding
the betta.

I don't know what the plants are as they weren't labeled and the clerk
didn't know - but I liked them, so I thought I'd gamble. They seemed to
be doing OK until Saturday morning - one of them has brown spots on it,
but it does NOT look like sunken spots like you see on diseased or
mal-nourished plants - it's raised up from the leaf like something
resting on it - perhaps algae or something? It's kinda like dust and
comes off easily - even the betta swimming between the leaves knocks it
off.

Pics are he

overview (339KB): http://www.lizmcguireonline.com/overview.jpg

closeup (30KB): http://www.lizmcguireonline.com/closeup.jpg

....can anyone tell me what it is and how I get rid of it (if I should)?
Also, if you happen to recognize the plant, I'd appreciate knowing
what it is.

Tank specs:
6g (US)
pH 7.2
temp: 80F
8W florescent light
3-5 inches of flourite (depending on where in the tank) (so I'm
thinking only 4 gallons of water).
ammonia and nitrite: 0
nitrate: 15

Thanks,

Liz

Old 14-11-2005, 11:30 AM
§tudz

I'm not sure what the spots are, but the plant is an Amazon Sword, I think.
anyone else wanna have a guess?

§tudz

Old 14-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Dukester

It could be the dust from Flourite. I notice red dust on my tank too
from the flourite that sticks to things.

Old 14-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Patricia A. Shaffer

On 13 Nov 2005 10:21:20 -0800, "Liz" wrote:

[...]

It looks like a very healthy Echinodorus schlueteri, possibly the
'Leopard' variety, to me. Check it out at this URL:

http://192.38.244.204/go.asp?show=products

Congratulations!

--
Patricia
Proud Citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia
Old 14-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Liz

I wondered about that! If maybe snails or the betta occasionally stirs
up some dust. It comes off easily. Someone else suggested it might be
brown algae. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see.

Thanks,

Liz

Old 14-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Liz

Patricia,

I don't think it's the "Leopard" variety as the dust just falls right
off if disturbed. The leaves also look skinnier than this plant, but
perhaps it'll fatten up g.

Thanks for taking a look. I'm gonna make sure it has enough
fertilizer, clean the dust off and watch - hopefully it'll keep looking
healthy!

Liz

Old 14-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Koi-lo

"§tudz" wrote in message
I'm not sure what the spots are, but the plant is an Amazon Sword, I
think.
anyone else wanna have a guess?

==================
I've seen Spathphilum (sp?) being sold as sword plants. They look similar.
These will die underwater in a few weeks. They're swamp plants not
underwater plants.
--
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy

Old 14-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Koi-lo

"Liz" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't know what the plants are as they weren't labeled .........

Never buy plants are aren't labeled. There are a few dishonest companies
out there selling swamp plants as aquarium plants. These plants are doomed
as they cannot live underwater for long.