GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substrate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/109137-substrate.html)

[email protected] 17-11-2005 01:26 PM

Substrate

I have decided to put some plants in my 10g aquarium at my office. The
substrate is what i consider to be 'generic aquarium gravel.' Is this
going to be a problem? What kind of plants will grow in this, if
anything? I have installed a 15W Light Glow 2 bulb in the hood of the
tank. The color temp appears to be 6700 K. I did get a little excited
and put in a 'sword' some 'anacherous' (spelling?) and a small grass
like plant of which I have no clue to the name.

Recommendations?

Bill 17-11-2005 11:07 PM

Substrate

Spaketh Thusly:

I have decided to put some plants in my 10g aquarium at my office. The
substrate is what i consider to be 'generic aquarium gravel.' Is this
going to be a problem? What kind of plants will grow in this, if
anything? I have installed a 15W Light Glow 2 bulb in the hood of the
tank. The color temp appears to be 6700 K. I did get a little excited
and put in a 'sword' some 'anacherous' (spelling?) and a small grass
like plant of which I have no clue to the name.

Recommendations?

Anubias. Get a small piece and attach it to a rock or (non-floating) wood with
a rubber band. By the time the rubber band rots & breaks, the roots will have
attached themselves to the rock. It doesn't matter what the substrate is since
the roots are not growing in it. And it's a good low light plant. I have 3
like this in my 10G.
Some wisteria and water sprite are in there also. They grow slowly, but they
do survive and grow under the flourescent bulb that comes with an All-Glass
hood. Sometimes I replace the water sprite with a large trimming from my
other tank.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net

js1 18-11-2005 05:17 PM

Substrate

On 2005-11-17, wrote:
Recommendations?

http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17
http://www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm

Peter Bradbury 22-11-2005 05:03 PM

Substrate

wrote:
I have decided to put some plants in my 10g aquarium at my office. The
substrate is what i consider to be 'generic aquarium gravel.' Is this
going to be a problem? What kind of plants will grow in this, if
anything? I have installed a 15W Light Glow 2 bulb in the hood of the
tank. The color temp appears to be 6700 K. I did get a little excited
and put in a 'sword' some 'anacherous' (spelling?) and a small grass
like plant of which I have no clue to the name.

Recommendations?

I'd suggest at the bottom an undergravel heating cable buried by a layer
of silver sand with approx 50% of laterite mixed in. On top of this a 2
inch layer of fine quartz gravel. A co2 system will also be very
beneficial if not imperative. I need to prune every month or so! Mine is
a four foot tank with 3*30 watt tubes.

Worked wonders for me - look at my web site

http://www.shubunkin.btinternet.co.uk

for more details - also take note about the rainwater it makes a
significant difference!