Old 19-03-2003, 03:08 AM
linda mar

Default water cleared up.. but more green fluff.. what does this mean?

Hi all,

I posted earlier about trying to clear out a cloudy tank... Anyway, I did
some minor regimen and now the tank is clear.. so it seems like the
cloudiness was more of an algae thing and not a so much of a bacterial
thing. This is what I did:

1. started to add Flourish Excel 2-3x week
2. started to be more routine about adding Flourish 2x week
3. started to add Flourish Iron whenever I add Flourish
4. reduced the amount of natural lighting (not completely out, but closed
some of the shades)

now, the cloudy water is gone, plants look great... but on high-brightness
area, I have what seems to be combination of beard algae (dense short, furry
stuff), thread algae (something green, thin, and long), and tufts of brown
something (looks like a miniature stringy foxtail but it's more brown than
green).

the brown something seems under control (doesn't grow much), but the beard
and the thin long algaes cover the brightly lit leaves rather quickly... so
what does this mean? am I giving too much or too less of something?

brightly lit = leaves that are closest to the lamp.. such as long leaves of
the apongeton boivianus, older sword leaves, etc

also, there were bunch of short (3mm), singlet strands of green filamental
algae growing sparsely on one of the tank walls, so I scraped it out (the
otos didn't seem like they were eating it, and it was getting a bit
unsighly..). I don't know what algae that was.

linda

Old 19-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Dave Millman

linda mar wrote:

Hi all,

I posted earlier about trying to clear out a cloudy tank... Anyway, I did
some minor regimen and now the tank is clear.. so it seems like the
cloudiness was more of an algae thing and not a so much of a bacterial
thing. This is what I did:

1. started to add Flourish Excel 2-3x week
2. started to be more routine about adding Flourish 2x week
3. started to add Flourish Iron whenever I add Flourish
4. reduced the amount of natural lighting (not completely out, but closed
some of the shades)

You are making forward progress. Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose without the
full range of tank parameters and measurements:

Tank size, lighting, substrate, weekly water changes & water source
KH, GH, pH
NO3, Fe
Fish load and plant load
Any other chemicals added (make this one easy: just stop adding any buffers, pH
adjusters, etc.)

Old 20-03-2003, 01:08 AM
linda mar

Hi

1. started to add Flourish Excel 2-3x week
2. started to be more routine about adding Flourish 2x week
3. started to add Flourish Iron whenever I add Flourish
4. reduced the amount of natural lighting (not completely out, but

closed
some of the shades)

You are making forward progress. Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose without

the
full range of tank parameters and measurements:

Tank size, lighting, substrate, weekly water changes & water source
KH, GH, pH
NO3, Fe
Fish load and plant load
Any other chemicals added (make this one easy: just stop adding any

buffers, pH
adjusters, etc.)

let's see..

tank size: 37G (with the thick gravel, it's actually about 30G actual
volume)
Temp: ~78-80F
lighting: 55W CF (ahsupply retrofit)
substrate: 2.5" thick pea-gravel UGF (I know.. very bad for plants)
misc: two bog wood that leeches tannin (water is yellow..)
water change: 20-25% biweekly (sort of averages out to about every 1.5weeks)
water source: tap water conditioned using AP Plus+
KH=GH=3 (using AP test kit)
pH = 7.5-ish (hard to tell since it's smack between the limit of the high
and low range pH indicator)
NO3 = unknown (test kit on the way)
NH3, NO2=0ppm
Fe = don't have test kit
fish load: 2 lace gouramis (juveniles), 7 danios, 7 white cloud, 4 oto (and
bunch of hydras and snails that I'm trying to pick out daily..)
plants: 5 large swords (ozelot, amazon), ~8 crypts, bunch of foxtail, rotala
indica, lysmacia, anacharis, anubias, A. boivianus bulb, 2 small sword
plants (E. parviflorus?), java fern
chemicals added: once in two days or so ~3ml flouish excel, 2x week ~1ml
Fourish, 1-2x week ~1ml Flourish iron, each sword plants and the apongeton
has Flourish Tab near its roots. no buffers or adjusters.. just plain ol
tap...

linda

Old 28-03-2003, 09:21 PM
linda mar

I guess I should add "short arms" in addition to vertically challenged.
[grin] even when on step stool, i can *barely* reach the gravel surface,
and the surface is about 2" thick from the bottom of the tank. lowering
water level helps in that I don't have to be wearing tanktops to avoid
getting wet clothes (huh.. I wonder if term "tank top" has any
correlation!).

Most of time time I am trimming plants by feel, and "blind" since I can't
watch and reach into the tank at the same time. looking through the water
from above gives too much distortion, and I've smacked my nose/face onto the
tank rim when I try to look while reaching the bottom. I can't reach down
while looking from the side (thank goodness for those landscaping kit
scissors!)..

:-P

linda

"LeighMo" wrote in message
given the tank depth, it will be a pretty large job for me... (22" deep..
I'm rather vertically challenged, so...) sigh. next time :-)

Lower the water level and stand on a stool or stepladder. I'm vertically
challenged, too, and there are some plants I can only reach during my

weekly
water changes, when I remove 30% of the water from the tank.

Leigh

Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
LeighMo

I guess I should add "short arms" in addition to vertically challenged.
[grin] even when on step stool, i can *barely* reach the gravel surface,

You need a taller stool. g

lowering
water level helps in that I don't have to be wearing tanktops to avoid
getting wet clothes (huh.. I wonder if term "tank top" has any
correlation!).

LOL!

I, too, wear tank tops to work in my tank. Sometimes, if no one else is home,
I work shirtless. I don't mind my shirt getting wet; for me, lowering the
water level means being able to reach all the way to the bottom of the tank
without my face going underwater. Maybe I should get a snorkel...

Leigh