Old 28-11-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
P&L

Default Plant Mail Order in Canada?

Does anyone have a Canadian source for freshwater aquarium plants other
than the LFS? Is there a mail order or online operation? Paying the border
fees for plants from the US is just nuts.

Please email back and I'll post the results.

Thanks,

Phil
Ottawa

Old 03-12-2005, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

"P&L" wrote in message
Does anyone have a Canadian source for freshwater aquarium plants
other than the LFS? Is there a mail order or online operation? Paying
the border fees for plants from the US is just nuts.

Please email back and I'll post the results.

Thanks,

Phil
Ottawa

Actually Ottawa is a good place for plants, between the Big Als in the
east end (Orleans) and the west end (Terry Fox), and the 3 SuperPets
(Kanata, Barrhaven and refurbished Merivale). Between them, for plants,
I'd definitely try the Barrhaven SuperPet. They also cater more to
exotic plant-tank critters. I saw two types of shrimp filter-feeders
there last week, and they almost always have nerita and MTS. I wasn't
really looking at plants that day, but they typically have a varied
selection, even Riccia sometimes.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .
"P&L" wrote in message
[...]

I was looking for Riccia yesterday. Why is it so hard to get?

--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 03-12-2005, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
P&L

Since posting this question, I wandered into a SuperPet (Merivale) for the
first time. I just never trusted multi-pet type franchises - ok for goldfish
and guppies but not for the "serious" hobbyist. I was very surprised indeed.
The many tanks were clean, organized and well labeled. The fish looked
healthy and there was a very good selection of plants. They were even
running CO2 on the plant tanks.

Maybe I don't need to get cold, dying plants in the mail after all.

Phil

PS: You tie down your Riccia or let it float? Last time I had some it became
a big messy light-eating mass on the surface.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"P&L" wrote in message
.. .
Since posting this question, I wandered into a SuperPet (Merivale) for the
first time. I just never trusted multi-pet type franchises - ok for
goldfish and guppies but not for the "serious" hobbyist. I was very
surprised indeed. The many tanks were clean, organized and well labeled.
The fish looked healthy and there was a very good selection of plants.
They were even running CO2 on the plant tanks.

Maybe I don't need to get cold, dying plants in the mail after all.

Phil

PS: You tie down your Riccia or let it float? Last time I had some it
became a big messy light-eating mass on the surface.

I was thinking of getting some large PVC pipe and making a Riccia "Tunnel".

Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I was looking for Riccia yesterday. Why is it so hard to get?

==================
Be careful who you buy it from online. They don't send you the aquatic
type. I was send some type that lives on wet rocks and soggy earth. It
rotted in the aquarium.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

Merivale, would I steer you wrong? ;~). .. but generally Barrhaven
has more interesting plants, and all the SuperPets get periodic shipments
from Tropica. I haven't been out to Al's lately, which I should, to see
if they are going to carry Jebo tanks.

Riccia, availability and cost. I had a standing order for 3 types
of Riccia for several weeks before any came through, and it's very
costly. From Singapore, it was available in tiny pots, tiny plastic
envelopes or in nylon mats. For retail, Riccia is quite awkward to
merchandise. The mark up is low, and the average customers still thinks
they are being taken advantage of, but I always liked to have a bit
around, for that one customer who comes in with a long list of plants to
buy. When I can fill their order, they leave walking on clouds ;~).
--
www.NetMax.tk

.. .