Old 29-11-2005, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
BBC

Default KH GH PH co2

Hi Folks: I use RO water in a planted tank - but having difficulties keeping
the water "harder". Tank is 54 gallons, with co2 injection.

I'm using Seachem's Equillibrium but my GH/KH readings are very low.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of using half tap water and half RO water to
maintain a more stable carbonate hardness. What do you guys do to maintain a
more stable hardness/PH?
cheers,
Bruce

Old 29-11-2005, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
spiral_72

Baking soda!

Old 29-11-2005, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
GB

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:02:49 -0500, "BBC" wrote:

Hi Folks: I use RO water in a planted tank - but having difficulties keeping
the water "harder". Tank is 54 gallons, with co2 injection.

I'm using Seachem's Equillibrium but my GH/KH readings are very low.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of using half tap water and half RO water to
maintain a more stable carbonate hardness. What do you guys do to maintain a
more stable hardness/PH?
cheers,
Bruce

If you want to increase the KH, you can use the PH stabilizer and KH
Booster from Hagen. I don't think that using RO water help you, you
only reduce your carbonate hardness already present in your tap water.

GB
Old 29-11-2005, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Old 30-11-2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
BBC

Hi all - thank you for your suggestions!

Old 30-11-2005, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

"BBC" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Folks: I use RO water in a planted tank - but having difficulties
keeping the water "harder". Tank is 54 gallons, with co2 injection.

I'm using Seachem's Equillibrium but my GH/KH readings are very low.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of using half tap water and half RO water to
maintain a more stable carbonate hardness. What do you guys do to maintain
a more stable hardness/PH?
cheers,
Bruce

I'll mix in tap water, as you suggest, if needed to
keep hardness and pH at a desirable level. You
can also add some crushed coral which IIRC
slowly dissolves and helps keep hardness and pH up.

Gail