Old 14-12-2005, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Default Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K

Andrzej Konarski wrote:

And You have low no3 ?

--
Pozdrawiam
Konarski Andrzej

" Akwarium bez roślin jest niczym ogród bez kwiatów "

I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the water.

Philippe

Old 14-12-2005, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

Old 14-12-2005, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

Philippe

Old 15-12-2005, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
news
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

If I good understand You....
It's not possible !!!
I add too mg,ca, no3 and po4 together and mg and ca dont crashing anything.

Old 15-12-2005, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Andrzej Konarski wrote:
Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
news
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

If I good understand You....
It's not possible !!!
I add too mg,ca, no3 and po4 together and mg and ca dont crashing anything.

I meant NO3 is kept constant although Mg and Ca go higher and higher...

Philippe

Old 15-12-2005, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:08:22 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
oldies\)" wrote:

Andrzej Konarski wrote:
Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
news
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

If I good understand You....
It's not possible !!!
I add too mg,ca, no3 and po4 together and mg and ca dont crashing anything.

I meant NO3 is kept constant although Mg and Ca go higher and higher...

Philippe

Seems to me then that the suggestion of ammonium nitrate would work,
if your filters can convert the ammonia quickly enough to nitrite,
then to nitrate. Other than that, highly dilute nitric acid.
Old 15-12-2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Charles wrote:

Seems to me then that the suggestion of ammonium nitrate would work,
if your filters can convert the ammonia quickly enough to nitrite,
then to nitrate. Other than that, highly dilute nitric acid.

I use now Mg(NO3)2.(H20)6 and Ca(NO3)2.(H20)4 at 50g/l level.
I try to keep an Ca to Mg ratio to about 5/1.
Unfortunately, Nitric acid shall not be available in powder form :-(
I will check the availability of diluted solutions !

Philippe

Old 15-12-2005, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

--
napisał w wiadomości
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
news
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

If I good understand You....
It's not possible !!!
I add too mg,ca, no3 and po4 together and mg and ca dont crashing
anything.

I meant NO3 is kept constant although Mg and Ca go higher and higher...

Normal.
Because the plants use very fast no3.
Mg and ca not so fast

Old 15-12-2005, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

Seems to me then that the suggestion of ammonium nitrate would work,
if your filters can convert the ammonia quickly enough to nitrite,
then to nitrate. Other than that, highly dilute nitric acid.

I use now Mg(NO3)2.(H20)6 and Ca(NO3)2.(H20)4 at 50g/l level.
I try to keep an Ca to Mg ratio to about 5/1.
Unfortunately, Nitric acid shall not be available in powder form :-(
I will check the availability of diluted solutions !

GOOD !!!!
What for this gimnastic ??????
I use too only ro water.
Caco3,Kcl,Mgso4,kno3,nacl and this is all.
Simply and affectively !!!

Old 15-01-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Seems to me then that the suggestion of ammonium nitrate would work,

Absolutely not. Ammonia and ammonium are deadly toxic to fish. Bad advice.

They are for terrestrial plants only, and almost any house or garden
plant fertilizer uses ammonia but you will never see it in anything
meant for aquaria.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 15-01-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

Philippe

Bonjour Philippe;

What you want to do is very simple. You need to find out what is in your
tapwater - how much nitrate, how much carbonsate, how much magnesium and
for other chemicals.

Then you need to establish what you want your tank to be. Again, how much
nitrate, phosphate and so on.

Now you buy some Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulphate, Magnesium sulphate,
Potassium monophosphate and an iron and trace elements mix.

Make up stock solutions of them in distilled water.

Now, knowing what your bare tapwater is, and what you want,
you can ad these chemicals one at a time from solution and attain
the levels you want.

In an established tank you would add different amounf of chemicals.

But this is complicated, and to be honest if you jsut follow Tom Barr's
"Estimative Index" regime of fertilizers, you'll have no problems
at all.

These calculators may help: http://aquaria.net/sys/tank

Best regards from Canada,

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-01-2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Richard Sexton wrote:

Bonjour Philippe;

Bonjour Richard !

What you want to do is very simple. You need to find out what is in your
tapwater - how much nitrate, how much carbonsate, how much magnesium and
for other chemicals.

Then you need to establish what you want your tank to be. Again, how much
nitrate, phosphate and so on.

Now you buy some Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulphate, Magnesium sulphate,
Potassium monophosphate and an iron and trace elements mix.

Make up stock solutions of them in distilled water.

Now, knowing what your bare tapwater is, and what you want,
you can ad these chemicals one at a time from solution and attain
the levels you want.

I follow you till there and I do it for long !
However, surely due a mistake of mine when I reached 2000 mg/l of K
in my tank, I have difficulties to bring it lower than 60 mg/l
surely due to the fact my trace mix shall contain some K too...

As I have lots of plants, I had only Magnesium nitrate and Calcium nitrate
to feed them in nitrates, raising the GH accordingly !

Now I add Nitric acid diluted at 2%...
And I change 25% of the water each week !
GH and KH slowly go down :-)
Unfortunately not K, so I will limit the trace mix

Which Fe level should be OK ?

Best regards from Canada,

Best regards from Belgium

Old 15-01-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

[...]

It shouldn't. Where were you ading potassium.

If you chnage half he water once a week it'll take care of any
imbalances although you may need ot make two 80% water changes
to get rid of any current exess wastes (like too much K).

As I have lots of plants, I had only Magnesium nitrate and Calcium nitrate
to feed them in nitrates, raising the GH accordingly !

Now I add Nitric acid diluted at 2%...
And I change 25% of the water each week !

I'd go for 50. This limits any concentration of chemicals
you ad per week to 2X their weekly dose as an absolute
upper bound.

GH and KH slowly go down :-)
Unfortunately not K, so I will limit the trace mix

Which Fe level should be OK ?

3ppm unchelated and 3 ppm chelated is what natural cryptocoryne
waters in Asia are (Host and Kipper). I use that and it seems to be fine.

Cheers,

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-01-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Richard Sexton wrote:

It shouldn't. Where were you ading potassium.

If you chnage half he water once a week it'll take care of any
imbalances although you may need ot make two 80% water changes
to get rid of any current exess wastes (like too much K).

If you think it doesnt come from the substrate, it shall come from the
trace mix...

I'd go for 50. This limits any concentration of chemicals
you ad per week to 2X their weekly dose as an absolute
upper bound.

Agreed ! Now, the upper bound is 4X but I don't have the composition
of my trace mix (in K and Fe at least) !

GH and KH slowly go down :-)
Unfortunately not K, so I will limit the trace mix

Which Fe level should be OK ?

3ppm unchelated and 3 ppm chelated is what natural cryptocoryne
waters in Asia are (Host and Kipper). I use that and it seems to be fine.

JBL test said 0.4, back to 0.2 since I incresed the water changes !

Cheers,

Thanks again !

Philippe

Old 16-01-2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Richard Sexton wrote:

It shouldn't. Where were you ading potassium.

If you chnage half he water once a week it'll take care of any
imbalances although you may need ot make two 80% water changes
to get rid of any current exess wastes (like too much K).

If you think it doesnt come from the substrate, it shall come from the
trace mix...

There is literally only a trace of potassium in iron/trace mix.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net