Old 30-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Default Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K

Is there a way ?

Philippe

Old 30-11-2005, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
George Pontis

Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:

Is there a way ?

Philippe

The only other compound that is a likely candidate would be sodium
nitrate. The others are poisonous, expensive, or unavailable.

If this is for a planted tank, what's wrong with readily available
potassium nitrate ? Usually a planted tank needs more potassium than
nitrate, so you use KNO3 to supply as much nitrate as needed and add
more KCl to get the K up to target.

--

George

Old 30-11-2005, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

George Pontis wrote:
Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:

Is there a way ?

Philippe

The only other compound that is a likely candidate would be sodium
nitrate. The others are poisonous, expensive, or unavailable.

If this is for a planted tank, what's wrong with readily available
potassium nitrate ? Usually a planted tank needs more potassium than
nitrate, so you use KNO3 to supply as much nitrate as needed and add
more KCl to get the K up to target.

I add some KH2PO4 and my K is nearly at 60 ppm.
Perhaps, shall I reduce TMG and Profito supplies
but how be sure that traces are sufficient ?

Thanks again !

Philippe

Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
George Pontis

George Pontis wrote:
Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:

Is there a way ?

Philippe

The only other compound that is a likely candidate would be sodium
nitrate. The others are poisonous, expensive, or unavailable.

If this is for a planted tank, what's wrong with readily available
potassium nitrate ? Usually a planted tank needs more potassium than
nitrate, so you use KNO3 to supply as much nitrate as needed and add
more KCl to get the K up to target.

I add some KH2PO4 and my K is nearly at 60 ppm.
Perhaps, shall I reduce TMG and Profito supplies
but how be sure that traces are sufficient ?

Thanks again !

Philippe

Usually we need very little KH2PO4 (potassium phosphate), maybe enough
to get 1ppm phosphate.

The K that we get along with the phosphate is less than the K that
comes along with the nitrate in potassium nitrate. After dosing those
two we still need to add many times more K to get up to what the plants
want.

I don't know what TMG or Profito contains, but I thought TMG was only
traces. K is usually considered a nutrient and is supplied in much
larger amounts than the traces.

The simplest method that I have seen for ensuring proper amounts of
nutrients and traces is the Barr method, usually called "EI" for
Estimative Index. You can read about it if you register at
www.barrreport.com. A good tool for mixing your own potions is Chuck
Gadd's Aquarium calculator, which you can download from his interesting
pages he http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/

Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

George Pontis wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info !

Philippe

Old 02-12-2005, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
js1

On 2005-11-30, Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:
Is there a way ?

Add more fish?

Old 02-12-2005, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On 2005-11-30, Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:
Is there a way ?

Add more fish?

Too many, already :-(

Philippe

Old 14-12-2005, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
Is there a way ?

Philippe

Yes

Old 14-12-2005, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Andrzej Konarski wrote:
Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
Is there a way ?

Philippe

Yes

NH4NO3 ?

Philippe who has fishes

Old 14-12-2005, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

napisał w wiadomości
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
Użytkownik "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
napisał w wiadomości
Is there a way ?

Philippe

Yes

NH4NO3 ?

Philippe who has fishes

What for do you need nitrates ?
For the plants ?

Old 14-12-2005, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

napisał w wiadomości
Is there a way ?

Philippe

Yes

NH4NO3 ?

Philippe who has fishes

What for do you need nitrates ?
For the plants ?

Yes !

Philippe

I add Kno3 to water change and I reach with this method 20 ppm of no3 and 12
ppm of K.
I want to have 200 ppm of K and the 8 ppm I reach adding Kcl(can add k2so4
but I use ro water )
I dont add more Kno3 in week because K can cumulate.
If 20 ppm to fresh water dont pass and in the end of week I have 0 ppm of
no3 I add more fish.
With this method I hold correct target of K (20ppm).
If You want add nitrates daily or in every other day add NH4NO3 but do not
measure and check no3 but Nh4.
He is more dangerous, but plants teke nh4 faster and without any loss of
energy.

--
Pozdrawiam
Konarski Andrzej

" Akwarium bez roślin jest niczym ogród bez kwiatów "

Old 14-12-2005, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

I want to have 200 ppm of K and the 8 ppm I reach adding Kcl(can add

20 ppm K naturally ))
Sry for mistake.

Old 14-12-2005, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Andrzej Konarski wrote:

I add Kno3 to water change and I reach with this method 20 ppm of no3 and 12
ppm of K.
I want to have 200 ppm of K and the 8 ppm I reach adding Kcl(can add k2so4
but I use ro water )
I dont add more Kno3 in week because K can cumulate.
If 20 ppm to fresh water dont pass and in the end of week I have 0 ppm of
no3 I add more fish.
With this method I hold correct target of K (20ppm).
If You want add nitrates daily or in every other day add NH4NO3 but do not
measure and check no3 but Nh4.
He is more dangerous, but plants teke nh4 faster and without any loss of
energy.

--
Pozdrawiam
Konarski Andrzej
gg 6422573

" Akwarium bez roślin jest niczym ogród bez kwiatów "

I already have too many fishes and too much K (60 ppm) ;-)
And probably too many plants !

Philippe

Old 14-12-2005, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

Andrzej Konarski wrote:

[...]

And You have low no3 ?