Old 03-12-2005, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Rosenthal

Default Pruning Question: Ceratopteris thalictroides

I have two Ceratopteris Thalictroides planted in my 29g aquarium. Both are
doing quite well and are in need of pruning. Can anyone tell me the best
way to accomplish this, and how I would go about re-planting the cuttings?

Thanks!
Steve

Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Steve Rosenthal" wrote in message

I have two Ceratopteris Thalictroides planted in my 29g aquarium. Both
are doing quite well and are in need of pruning. Can anyone tell me the
best way to accomplish this, and how I would go about re-planting the
cuttings?

Thanks!
Steve

=============
Isn't this called "water sprite?" Young plants grow on the old leaves, can
be removed and planted on their own. If you cut the large leaves off the
mother plant you may kill it. Google "Ceratopteris Thalictroides " and I'm
sure you'll get a lot of hits.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Ceratopteris will have new plantlets form at the elbows in the stems.
The stems themselves should not be cut.

Robert H
Wet Thumb Forums
all about the plants
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/eve

Old 12-12-2005, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ceratopteris will have new plantlets form at the elbows in the stems.
The stems themselves should not be cut.

=============
Exactly. 90% of my water sprite floated free on the surface and did much
better that way. Baby plants formed on the leaves. They spread and produced
baby plants until the surface was covered. I was giving it away to all my
friends who had fish.

But here I can't keep it alive (hard alkaline water). I don't even see it
being sold anymore.

Old 15-01-2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Exactly. 90% of my water sprite floated free on the surface and did much
better that way. Baby plants formed on the leaves. They spread and produced
baby plants until the surface was covered. I was giving it away to all my
friends who had fish.

There's three species of the stuff. Only the very fine leaved one will
gow submersed, the rest just wants to float. I have two of them here.

But here I can't keep it alive (hard alkaline water). I don't even see it
being sold anymore.

My water is 1200 ppm carbomnsates and it grows fine. Eats nitrate like stink.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net