Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default getting some green spot algae?

Hey I'm getting some green spot algae over a few plants. I need to know how
much to fertilize. I have removed some lighting because I couldn't keep up a
stable environment (I had 4wpg). I now have a more manageable 2.67wpg @
10hrs per day, 15 gallon wide tank, 25-28ppm CO2, doing 50% water changes
weekly, adding 3-4ml traces and rice grain of phosphate and 1/8 tsp
potassium nitrate biweekly. Should I be fertilizing more or less?

The plants seem to be growing fast, well and lush, but there is always this
damn green spot algae on a about 20% of them.

thanks

Dave

Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Dave@AquaFlora" wrote in message
Hey I'm getting some green spot algae over a few plants. I need to know
how much to fertilize. I have removed some lighting because I couldn't
keep up a stable environment (I had 4wpg). I now have a more manageable
2.67wpg @ 10hrs per day, 15 gallon wide tank, 25-28ppm CO2, doing 50%
water changes weekly, adding 3-4ml traces and rice grain of phosphate and
1/8 tsp potassium nitrate biweekly. Should I be fertilizing more or less?

The plants seem to be growing fast, well and lush, but there is always
this damn green spot algae on a about 20% of them.

thanks

Dave

Is it Green Dust Algae or Green Spot Algae? Green Dust Algae is VERY bright
green, powdery and brushes off easily. I believe GDA is pretty common, even
in a healthy tank. I have very little GSA or GDA since increasing my Oto
population. I am fighting some BBA right now though, so I'll be adding some
SAEs.

Your Traces seem a little low, assuming you're using the PMDD doses, but you
have less light than I do. Your Phosphate looks to be about 3.5 PPM,
assuming 1/16 tsp, I try to keep mine around 1 PPM, but 2 PPM is not
unreasonable. Your KN03 seems a bit too low, but your fish may make up the
difference. I don't add any, but then my water changes are smaller. Do you
add any extra Potassium or Magnesium (Epsom salts) to your traces?

It looks like you've got a good handle on things, healthy plants are the
major battle.

You might want to check out Chuck Gadd's nutrient calculator:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Tom Barr's site is also very good for the plant enthusiast, but you have to
subscribe: www.barrreport.com

Old 05-12-2005, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dogma Discharge

Add a little more po4 than usual and cut back your photoperiod by an hour.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Andrzej Konarski

Hey I'm getting some green spot algae over a few plants. I need to know
how much to fertilize. I have removed some lighting because I couldn't
keep up a stable environment (I had 4wpg). I now have a more manageable
2.67wpg @ 10hrs per day, 15 gallon wide tank, 25-28ppm CO2, doing 50%
water changes weekly, adding 3-4ml traces and rice grain of phosphate and
1/8 tsp potassium nitrate biweekly. Should I be fertilizing more or less?

I see GSA in my aquarium in 2 ways.
1.To high mikronutrients(fe mainly).
2.To low Po4 ant additinaly to high NO3(not used).
I think You add too high mikro if You add daily.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

It's not the stuff that dusts off, it's the hard stuff. There also is some
remenants of BBA here and there on the gravel in some of the crypt bushes.

I don't add any extra potassium other than what I get with the KNO3 and
KH2PO4...I do have some K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate) that I used to use a while
back but I thought I was dosing enough potassium?? Maybe I need to start
that again. Ever since switching back to 2.67wpg from 4wpg I've been trying
all sorts of combos...which isn't good for the plants since they don't like
lots of fluctuations in variables every week

Someone on this post suggested cutting the photoperiod back an hour from
10hrs to 9hrs?

Thanks!
Dave.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Why do you think the KNO3 is too low? Twice a week I ad 1/8 tsp. KNO3 which
amounts to 7.85ppm according to Chuck's calculator...which is higher than
the suggested target level of 5ppm. I was actually thinking of lowering it
to a little over 1/16 tsp, which would be under 4ppm and start using
K2SO4...since I think I'm only getting a little over 5ppm of Potassium which
should be 20ppm!!

Another thing, do you think the plants use up this amount of nutrients in
half a week with 10hrs light? (because I'm adding twice a week)

traces???

thanks,

Dave.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Why do you think the KNO3 is too low? Twice a week I ad 1/8 tsp. KNO3
which amounts to 7.85ppm according to Chuck's calculator...which is higher
than the suggested target level of 5ppm. I was actually thinking of
lowering it to a little over 1/16 tsp, which would be under 4ppm and start
using K2SO4...since I think I'm only getting a little over 5ppm of
Potassium which should be 20ppm!!

It's pretty tough to overdose K (Potassium), so although I add some to my
traces (PMDD), I usually add a bit more now and then.

That recommended Nitrates number is on the low side, especially with your
large water changes. You really should read Tom Barr's Estimative Index
methodology for fertilization. I'm not a follower yet, as I don't want to do
the large water changes, but you're already doing those.

Another thing, do you think the plants use up this amount of nutrients in
half a week with 10hrs light? (because I'm adding twice a week)

I actually missed the twice a week the first time. Usually 12 hours of light
or less is recommended. Although I'm currently at 16 hours on my 10 gallon,
trying to keep enough Algae for the inhabitants.

Here's an excel worksheet (not mine) with the basics:
http://www.fwstingrays.com/DosingCalculator.htm

traces???

thanks,

Dave.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Liz McGuire

Bill,

Does that work? I've got a 10g unplanted tank and I'd like to keep a
brown algae farm going (the Otos have pretty much finished it off).
It's just a 10W 50/50 bulb on one side, so pretty low WPG level...

Thanks,

Liz

Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Liz McGuire" wrote in message
Bill,

Does that work? I've got a 10g unplanted tank and I'd like to keep a
brown algae farm going (the Otos have pretty much finished it off).
It's just a 10W 50/50 bulb on one side, so pretty low WPG level...

Thanks,

Liz

Excess light "should" grow Algae, but I haven't had any luck so far. I even
upgraded the lights to 2x36, although I'm only running one bulb until the
second ballast arrives. I recently replaced all the gravel and most of the
water, so I suspect the Nitrates are quite low. I moved most of the Otos to
the large plant tank, so Algae is less of a concern. I used Algae covered
rocks from the GF tank to tide them over.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Liz McGuire

:-) Well, maybe between the two of us we'll master the art of growing
brown algae!

I've heard that it's longer hours of low light that helps grow algae,
rather than high wattage. I also wonder if the wattage impacts the
type of algae (higher wattage gets you more of the green stuff, lower
gets you the brown stuff, for example).

Anywho, any further comments welcome (from anyone).

In the meantime, Oto and Inky seem content with the algae wafers (good
news) and have nice fat tummies, so they're not starving. I've got to
do some searching on how to soften up some spinach and zucchini and
then I'll try them on that (while I try to figure out the algae
farming techniques).

Thanks,

Liz