Old 14-12-2005, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

Default beard alage

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

2 watts per gallon.

So you have 30 watts on your 15 gallon tank or 2 wpg. CO2 probably not
rerquired.

They can get tipped over and leak into the tank. You should make sure it
can't fall over and use a check valve.

right, so you would say I don't need a CO2 kit?

While done the clean yesterday, I notice one of the filters was not working
properly, so I clean it up, and its working great again.

oh and yeah, its only 15gal but has two filters as it was over stocked, prob
still is.

Filters:
» Fluval - 2Plus
» Furplast - BluCompact02

I've also done some replacement of some of the plants, as the have
multiplied, mostly the dwarf swords have, so they are move spred out now, so
they have room to grow.
if the continue to grow like that I'll have a forest in the tank in no time.

I have a red Sword (or what I think is a red sword) in the tank as well,
I've had to cut back a lot of the leaves as they were dead, but they grow
back pretty well, don't they?
well that what I read some place.

in one of my tanks I have 5 platies, 3 females and 2 males. in the planeted
tank I have 1 young male platey, he is about maybe two months old now, if I
took one of the males from the other tank and placed it in the planeted
tank, to eat the H/A (As I've seen the young platy munching on it alot)
would they battle each other, even without any females about?

Thanks for all your help so far,

§tudz

Old 15-12-2005, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

2 watts per gallon.

So you have 30 watts on your 15 gallon tank or 2 wpg. CO2 probably not
rerquired.

They can get tipped over and leak into the tank. You should make sure it
can't fall over and use a check valve.

right, so you would say I don't need a CO2 kit?

Do your plants pearl (give off O2 bubbles) after you do a large water
change? If the answer is yes, you may benefit from adding CO2. Even if they
don't pearl after a water change, you may still benefit from a water change.
It depends on the amount of CO2 in your water. Comapre the PH of your water
fresh out of the tap and after it sits about 24 hours. although it sounds
like you're doing OK based on your notes below.

While done the clean yesterday, I notice one of the filters was not
working properly, so I clean it up, and its working great again.

oh and yeah, its only 15gal but has two filters as it was over stocked,
prob still is.

This will provide lots of Nitrates (probably Phosphate too) for your plants.
So as long as your fish are healthy, proably not an issue.

Filters:
» Fluval - 2Plus
» Furplast - BluCompact02

I've also done some replacement of some of the plants, as the have
multiplied, mostly the dwarf swords have, so they are move spred out now,
so they have room to grow.
if the continue to grow like that I'll have a forest in the tank in no
time.

I have a red Sword (or what I think is a red sword) in the tank as well,
I've had to cut back a lot of the leaves as they were dead, but they grow
back pretty well, don't they?
well that what I read some place.

I've got a few 'Red' Swords, a Rubin, a Rose and an Osiris. The Rose was
doing poorly for a while, but has really done well since I started paying
more attention to the nutrient levels (low Phosphate). It has practically
taken over the tank as you say.

in one of my tanks I have 5 platies, 3 females and 2 males. in the
planeted tank I have 1 young male platey, he is about maybe two months old
now, if I took one of the males from the other tank and placed it in the
planeted tank, to eat the H/A (As I've seen the young platy munching on it
alot) would they battle each other, even without any females about?

I don't know much about Platies, I've always avoided live bearers.

Old 15-12-2005, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Do your plants pearl (give off O2 bubbles) after you do a large water
change? If the answer is yes, you may benefit from adding CO2. Even if
they don't pearl after a water change, you may still benefit from a water
change. It depends on the amount of CO2 in your water. Comapre the PH of
your water fresh out of the tap and after it sits about 24 hours. although
it sounds like you're doing OK based on your notes below.

This will provide lots of Nitrates (probably Phosphate too) for your
plants. So as long as your fish are healthy, proably not an issue.

I don't know much about Platies, I've always avoided live bearers.

They don't pearl no, the ph in the tank is 7.

I guess there would be a test kit I could buy to test for phosphates?
I've started to keep a log now, of when I do water changes, and anything
else I do to the tank. I am also recording the Nitrates and Nitrites, as
well as ammonia.

My nitrates are high ast the moment (40ppm), where as Nitrites are oppm and
Ammonia are 0ppm.

could the high nitrates be worsening the problem?

I'm using amquel+ Plus and water changes to decrease the NO3-

as for the comment about live breaders I was always told never to keep them
as I'd have hundreds in a few months time, but I think I kept the balance
between fry and 'fry eaters' right, as I have only actually seen 3 fry, one
of them has survived, and I've had the LBs for over 6 months, may be longer
now.

§tudz

Old 16-12-2005, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Do your plants pearl (give off O2 bubbles) after you do a large water
change? If the answer is yes, you may benefit from adding CO2. Even if
they don't pearl after a water change, you may still benefit from a water
change. It depends on the amount of CO2 in your water. Comapre the PH of
your water fresh out of the tap and after it sits about 24 hours.
although it sounds like you're doing OK based on your notes below.

This will provide lots of Nitrates (probably Phosphate too) for your
plants. So as long as your fish are healthy, proably not an issue.

I don't know much about Platies, I've always avoided live bearers.

They don't pearl no, the ph in the tank is 7.

What's the PH of your tap water? What's your LH?

I guess there would be a test kit I could buy to test for phosphates?
I've started to keep a log now, of when I do water changes, and anything
else I do to the tank. I am also recording the Nitrates and Nitrites, as
well as ammonia.

My nitrates are high ast the moment (40ppm), where as Nitrites are oppm
and Ammonia are 0ppm.

I'd try to keep them under 20ppm.

Do you add any Potassium?
Any idea what your Phosphate levels are?

could the high nitrates be worsening the problem?

I'm using amquel+ Plus and water changes to decrease the NO3-

How often do you do water changes, how big?

Old 16-12-2005, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

What's the PH of your tap water? What's your LH?

I'd try to keep them under 20ppm.

Do you add any Potassium?
Any idea what your Phosphate levels are?

How often do you do water changes, how big?

Yeah I do try to keep the Nirtrates under 20ppm but not very successful.

I think my tap water PH is about 7. did you mean PH not LH? is so my tank PH
is 7 as well

I don't add any Potassium, and how can I check my Phospahate levels?

I normally do a 50% change every two weeks,

§tudz

Old 17-12-2005, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

What's the PH of your tap water? What's your LH?

I'd try to keep them under 20ppm.

Do you add any Potassium?
Any idea what your Phosphate levels are?

How often do you do water changes, how big?

Yeah I do try to keep the Nirtrates under 20ppm but not very successful.

I think my tap water PH is about 7. did you mean PH not LH? is so my tank
PH is 7 as well

No KH or carbonate hardness.

If the PH of your tap water is 7 and the PH of the tank is 7, then you
likely have very little CO2 in your tap water. so you would not see any
pearling from a water change. You should really test the PH of your tap
water fresh out of the tap and then test it again after it has sat for 24
hours. Compare these two PH values to determine how much CO2 you have in
your tap water.

I don't add any Potassium, and how can I check my Phospahate levels?

You can buy a test kit to test your Phosphate levels.

I normally do a 50% change every two weeks,

That's not bad. Do you vacuum your gravel and clean your filter regularly? I
think you said you did.

§tudz

P.S. My scum sucking ISP is dropping Usenet, so I likely won't be posting
again, until I change ISPs.

Old 17-12-2005, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

--
You can find my public key at https://keyserver1.pgp.com
"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

[...]

Bill/studs whoever - you can find decent free newservers on the net -
especially on the web. And no - I don't mean web forums, I mean actual
newservers you can use - but getting one you can post to is admittedly
difficult. Check out the following newserver (usenet newgroups) search
engine that exists on the web: http://www.disenter.com/ . It should give you
enough information to be able to use a free newserver with your default (or
whatever handles usenet for you) newsreader (and poster) to read and
hopefully (depending on the newsserver used from this list) write messages
to these groups. Good luck and later! P.s. just as a side note - you will
most likely have to hop to other free newsservers after a short time with
each as in my experience any one newserver doesn't last very long, from this
list.

Old 17-12-2005, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .
P.S. My scum sucking ISP is dropping Usenet, so I likely won't be posting
again, until I change ISPs.

=============
aieo is free and you can post as well as read. No sign on, just add
aioe.cjb.net to your NR and download the headers immediately. :-) The one
I'm using now is also free.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 17-12-2005, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Larry Blanchard

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:34:52 -0500, Bill Stock wrote:

P.S. My scum sucking ISP is dropping Usenet, so I likely won't be posting
again, until I change ISPs.

In the meantime you can read at news.readfreenews.net, but you can't post.
Worst case, you could always post via Google.
Old 15-01-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Grae wrote:
rty double dosing flourish excel, it works!! i have used it before and its
actually good for your tank/plants as well

if I let things go a while and don't fertilize or change water often
enough I get staghorn, thread, beard and who knpows what other
kinds of algae.

I simply go out and get some Flourish Excel, use per the instructions
and it's usualy turned white on the third day and simly dissolves.

You can shock alage by changung 80% of the water two days in a row,
then chnage 50% once a week ans it shouldn't come back. Vacuum the
gravel if you have it, lots of crud sits there, enough to pollute
the water again if it has the chance.

There are complicated legal reasons why SeaChem says nothing
about it's algae killi properties - these have been discussed
in this group many time and can be found by googling the web.

The only thing they will say officially is if you're trying
to grow "moss balls": (Cladophora algae) then use of Flourish
Excel is expected to have a deleterious efect on them.

Fertiize as per Tom Barr's Estimative Index and you should not have
algae coma back; oddly it's the lack or nutrients in a planted
tank that causes algae, not too much of something.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 15-01-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

MY CAE has done a great job on the black algae that was on one of my swords,
but it hasn't done much for the green spot algae on the glass at the back of
the tank.

That's caused by low phosphates.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-01-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
§tudz wrote:

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
. ..

If your lighting is below 2 wpg you shouldn't need CO2. If you have a
small tank, a Yeast/Sugar CO2 generator should do.

2 wpg?

I have two tubes in my planted tank, which is a 15gallon tank.

1 x Arcadia - Original Tropical Lamp
1 x Arcadia - Frsh Water Lamp

In case I haven't stirred up enough shit today can I just
take this moment to point out that neither work as well
as warm whites?

The only reason to use anything else is strictly for the
aesthetics.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net