Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

Default beard alage

Hi,

I have a bad case of beard alage in my planted tank.
I've read on the net it doesn't mean my water is bad, and it says a SAE
would help, I don't have room for an SAE.

I already have 4 octos and a CAE, would using a chemical algae killer work?
or would this kill my plants as well?

I've used the bleach method of dipping but it just comes back.

any further help?

§tudz

Old 10-12-2005, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Justin

Hi,

I had a bad experience with Algae killers, I lost half of my tank population
and it said that it didn't harm fish, only inverterbrets... If you must use
it, then make sure your KH is at about 7 otherwise, be ready with a net to
remove the dead fish as they float to the surface...

Why don't you try 50% water changes every week for about 6 weeks, it will
remove any excess nutrients...

Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Grae

rty double dosing flourish excel, it works!! i have used it before and its
actually good for your tank/plants as well

Old 11-12-2005, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

I have some 'Plant food' by King British.

would adding this help as well?

Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

Some snails eat beard algae - and shrimps (Caridina or
Neocaridina) help to avoid it.

Phosphates: Do you feed life or frozen bloodworms?

Please wait!

any further help?

Filter cycle established?
To much O2?
Not enough CO2?
Not enough NH4/NO3?
--
cu
Marco

I feed some freeze dried Bloodworm

filters are fully cycled, as I said it was an established tank, which I
planted, the alage has only just started to show up over the last month or
so.

As for Snails, I'm not a fan, they create a lot of waste, and they look an
eye sore. IMO

I don't have any air stones in the tank anymore.

possibly not enough CO2 as I don't have an injector, but it is only a 15gal
tank ( yes I know the CAE will grow too big for the tank )

as for nitrates, last time I checked they were at good levels.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

it says a SAE would help

Old 11-12-2005, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a bad case of beard alage in my planted tank.
I've read on the net it doesn't mean my water is bad, and it says a SAE
would help, I don't have room for an SAE.

I already have 4 octos and a CAE, would using a chemical algae killer
work? or would this kill my plants as well?

I've used the bleach method of dipping but it just comes back.

any further help?

§tudz

Flourish Excel (carbon supplement) seems to be the one fix I've seen
recommended, also higher CO2 levels are supposed to help. My BBA seemed to
thrive when I started dosing Phosphates, but the plants are growing like
crazy, so I can't complain. I've increased my CO2 levels to about 35 PPM
and the BBA seems to be in check. My Otos don't touch BBA, but they may
prefer the GSA (Green Spot Algae). I'll be adding some SAEs in a few days,
I'm hoping they will turn the tide. Give your CAE a chance.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Flourish Excel (carbon supplement) seems to be the one fix I've seen
recommended, also higher CO2 levels are supposed to help. My BBA seemed to
thrive when I started dosing Phosphates, but the plants are growing like
crazy, so I can't complain. I've increased my CO2 levels to about 35 PPM
and the BBA seems to be in check. My Otos don't touch BBA, but they may
prefer the GSA (Green Spot Algae). I'll be adding some SAEs in a few days,
I'm hoping they will turn the tide. Give your CAE a chance.

MY CAE has done a great job on the black algae that was on one of my swords,
but it hasn't done much for the green spot algae on the glass at the back of
the tank.
I've also got a lawn of green hair algae on my Bog wood, and a fake log, it
has started again to grow on the glass. I have platies in one of my tanks,
and they used to be in this one.
they gave birth and I didn't notice, before I moved them, but one of the fry
has survived, and he seems to enjoy eating the black and green algae, so I
might try put a few of the adults from the other tank in there for a few
days and see what happens.

How important is a CO2 injector? I don't have one, and I've read you don't
need it, but would it be a good idea to buy one?

§tudz

Old 13-12-2005, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

[...]

If your lighting is below 2 wpg you shouldn't need CO2. If you have a small
tank, a Yeast/Sugar CO2 generator should do.

§tudz

Old 13-12-2005, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .

If your lighting is below 2 wpg you shouldn't need CO2. If you have a
small tank, a Yeast/Sugar CO2 generator should do.

2 wpg?

I have two tubes in my planted tank, which is a 15gallon tank.

1 x Arcadia - Original Tropical Lamp
1 x Arcadia - Frsh Water Lamp

Both are 15watts

I was reading one of the NGs and gound a thread about DIY CO2 kits
yesterday, so decided to read up about them.
They seem to have some draw backs, such as killing all the fish? if not done
right, and knowing my luck, lol, thats what would happen.

I've seen the tetra CO2 kits on Ebay for about £5, so its not breaking the
bank, well at the moment it is, damn Xmas, but it wont be when I get paid.

§tudz

Old 13-12-2005, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

oh god!

well I've been doing bleach dips, as I said earlier, I've just started one,
and I jusy found my small clown loach floating in the bucket.... :'(

I checked the log throughly before adding it, he must had been hiding
extremely well.

Just a point to everyone trying this, make sure your fish aren't hiding in
the stuff your gonna dip

R.I.P - poor little clown loach, whos life was taken mistakenly.

§tudz

Old 13-12-2005, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

I feed some freeze dried Bloodworm

FD Bloodworm shouldn't contain as much phosphate as frozen
Bloodworm.

How much CO2 is in water?

--
cu
Marco
Old 14-12-2005, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"§tudz" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .

If your lighting is below 2 wpg you shouldn't need CO2. If you have a
small tank, a Yeast/Sugar CO2 generator should do.

2 wpg?

2 watts per gallon.

So you have 30 watts on your 15 gallon tank or 2 wpg. CO2 probably not
rerquired.

I have two tubes in my planted tank, which is a 15gallon tank.

1 x Arcadia - Original Tropical Lamp
1 x Arcadia - Frsh Water Lamp

Both are 15watts

I was reading one of the NGs and gound a thread about DIY CO2 kits
yesterday, so decided to read up about them.
They seem to have some draw backs, such as killing all the fish? if not
done right, and knowing my luck, lol, thats what would happen.

They can get tipped over and leak into the tank. You should make sure it
can't fall over and use a check valve.

Old 14-12-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"§tudz" wrote in message

R.I.P - poor little clown loach, whos life was taken mistakenly.

Stuff like that happens to all of us.....

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy