Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Leloo

Default Plants die toooo fast

My fish last longer than my plants. Come on, i managed to replace all of my
plants (not that many, because they all die so fast) five times before a
single Neon died. I put in plant food refularly, give them about 12 hours of
light a day, and put in fertilizer tablets every month. Cant see what is
wrong, ive tried several fish stores, but the plants end up the same - dead.
I have an Angelfish and a few neons (now 4) in the thank, and they dont seem
to be eathing the plants or anything like that.

I think my green thumb washed off when i was puting the plants in the
water...

Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Leloo" wrote in message
u...
My fish last longer than my plants. Come on, i managed to replace all of
my
plants (not that many, because they all die so fast) five times before a
single Neon died. I put in plant food refularly, give them about 12 hours
of
light a day, and put in fertilizer tablets every month. Cant see what is
wrong, ive tried several fish stores, but the plants end up the same -
dead.
I have an Angelfish and a few neons (now 4) in the thank, and they dont
seem
to be eathing the plants or anything like that.

I think my green thumb washed off when i was puting the plants in the
water...

====================
There can be several reason they're dying so fast. The stores are selling
houseplants as aquarium plants again. These are doomed and the practice
should be illegal. Make sure you KNOW what you're buying and that it's a
plant that is a true underwater plant.
PH is also important. Some plants will not live in acid or in alkaline
water. Know their PH requirements BEFORE you buy them. An example is water
sprite grew like crazy when I lived where the PH was 6.8. Where I live now
it's always over 7.5 and the water sprite dies in a few weeks.
You may think you're giving them enough light but the plants may need much
BRIGHTER light than you're providing. Google aquarium plants for many, many
websites covering them.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Empty

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:14:28 +1100, Leloo wrote:

I think my green thumb washed off when i was puting the plants in the
water...

It will take some adjustment, that's for sure. There are factors that are
more and less important in a tank than on land. Watering is not
necessary for example, but CO2 addition may be.

Go check out the beginner resources at plantgeek.net and see if those
help. The two most likely causes of failure are light and CO2 in my
experience.

~Empty
Old 12-12-2005, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Empty wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:14:28 +1100, Leloo wrote:

I think my green thumb washed off when i was puting the plants in the
water...

It will take some adjustment, that's for sure. There are factors that are
more and less important in a tank than on land. Watering is not
necessary for example, but CO2 addition may be.

Go check out the beginner resources at plantgeek.net and see if those
help. The two most likely causes of failure are light and CO2 in my
experience.

~Empty

In adequate lighting is the main reason why people have trouble with
plants. Yes, pet stores do have some terrarium plants mixed in with the
aquatic plants because they do not know better, but light is still the
biggest reason. You can not grow plants with the light that comes with
your aquarium. The general rule is 2 to 3 watts of fluorescent light
per gallon of water. So if you have a 20 gallon tank, you need 40 to 60
watts of light. A typical 20 gallon tank comes with one 15 or 20 watt
bulb. Light is the single most important factor. With sub-standard
light you can dump fertilizer in the water all day long and it will
make no difference. Stem plants, those that come in bunches will melt
away the quickest under sub standard light. Rooted rhizome plants such
as Anubias, water ferns, and Cryptocorynes are more tolerant of low
light levels. You can read more about it he
http://www.aquabotanic.com/begin.htm. On this site there is also a CD
you can buy that goes over all tha basics of aquarium gardening from
lighting, C02, fertilization, to aquascaping.

There is no magic green thumb to make plants grow. You simply need to
learn how.

Robert H.
www.aquabotanic.com