GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   UV filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/10975-uv-filter.html)

DJ Mox 19-03-2003 10:32 AM

UV filter

I have intention to install UV filter to my discus planted aquarium. What is
the effect on the beneficial bacteria and plants? Is it recommended?

TIA

DougS 19-03-2003 03:08 PM

UV filter

In article , says...
I have intention to install UV filter to my discus planted aquarium. What is
the effect on the beneficial bacteria and plants? Is it recommended?

While this is just my experience, I use a 25w UV in my 110g planted tank
that has among other inhabitants, 4 discus who breed like rabbits or
maybe a better analogy is "like guppies", and they are very healthy.

I do not see any impact on the fertilizer I use (PMDD). I have seen
reports that UV will breakdown some of the fertilizer components and
render them useless. I ran this tank for a number of years before the
discus were added 3 years ago without UV and my doseage rate for PMDD
has not changed. I've not noticed any difference in plant growth rate.

DougS