Old 21-12-2005, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
P&L

Default Yamato Mystery

I introduced 5 Yamato shrimp to my planted 90gal tank the other day. Just
for fun mostly but for algae utility as well. In the tank are a few Surpae
tetras, cardinals, otto's, SAEs, and one medium angel. Oh and two smallish
clowns. Chemistry is fine, CO2 injection, pH 7.0, 75 degrees.
Shrimp scattered out of the bag, and are gone. Gone. I simply cannot find
one. Its been about 5 days and I've looked hard. My tank is well planted so
there are a million places they can go but still.
I'm beginning to suspect the clowns munched them straight away. I even
watched to see if they had full bellies and if they were hungry when I fed
the tank. Nothing conclusive either way.
Any thoughts folks? Are yamato's nocturnal?

Phil
Ottawa

Old 21-12-2005, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dan

I had about 8-9 yamato shrimp in my tank and when I introduced 4 angelfish,
the disappeared. I think it is possible your angelfish ate them. I have
clown loaches also and they had left them alone entirely. The angelfish
arrived and the shrimp suddenly left. I think it is the angelfish.

DRE

Old 21-12-2005, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Victor Martinez

Dan wrote:
arrived and the shrimp suddenly left. I think it is the angelfish.

As a rule of thumb, cichlids/loaches and shrimp do not mix. That said,
in my heavily planted 110g tank there's a half a dozen feeder shrimp
that have survived for months now. They live with very large peruvian
angels and a whole bunch of loaches, including two 6" clowns.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 21-12-2005, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Melissa Danforth

P&L wrote:
: I introduced 5 Yamato shrimp to my planted 90gal tank the other day. Just
: for fun mostly but for algae utility as well. In the tank are a few Surpae
: tetras, cardinals, otto's, SAEs, and one medium angel. Oh and two smallish
: clowns. Chemistry is fine, CO2 injection, pH 7.0, 75 degrees.
: Shrimp scattered out of the bag, and are gone. Gone. I simply cannot find
: one. Its been about 5 days and I've looked hard. My tank is well planted so
: there are a million places they can go but still.
: I'm beginning to suspect the clowns munched them straight away. I even
: watched to see if they had full bellies and if they were hungry when I fed
: the tank. Nothing conclusive either way.
: Any thoughts folks? Are yamato's nocturnal?

They could have been eaten, but they also could be hiding. I rarely see all
of my algae shrimp at one time. I wasn't even sure they all were still there
until I moved in the summer and sure enough they were all there. Right now
I have a dozen in a 29g tank and usually only see one or two at a time. I
can get more to come out by dropping algae waffers into the tank, which seems
to draw them out of hiding.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Rocco Moretti

P&L wrote:
I introduced 5 Yamato shrimp to my planted 90gal tank the other day. Its been about 5 days and I've looked hard. My tank is well planted so
there are a million places they can go but still.
I'm beginning to suspect the clowns munched them straight away. I even
watched to see if they had full bellies and if they were hungry when I fed
the tank. Nothing conclusive either way.
Any thoughts folks? Are yamato's nocturnal?

No carnivores in my 15 gal tank, but at times I've thought I lost some
or all of my 4 Amano shrimp. I have had about 2 months where I thougt I
was down to one. All of a sudden, all four show up again.

I don't think Amano/Yamato's are nocturnal - I've seen them cleaning
rocks out in the open durning the middle of the day. It's just that they
(sometimes) can be nervous, retreating to heavy plant cover when they're
harrassed by other fish.

Old 21-12-2005, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Altum

I introduced a bunch of Amanos once and over half vanished. I found
"shrimp chips" on the floor when I swept a couple days later. Amano
shrimp are great escape artists.

Old 29-12-2005, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
djay

"Altum" wrote in message
oups.com...
I introduced a bunch of Amanos once and over half vanished. I found
"shrimp chips" on the floor when I swept a couple days later. Amano
shrimp are great escape artists.

This was my experience as well. If the upper foilage of your plants allows
for them to climb out, they will certainly do so. If you find em in time
then they will be fine else you'll have a shrimp chip as Altum said.

Djay

Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Shady

I put 10 Amano shrimp in my 45 gal. I only ever see 3 or 4 at a time.
I only have tetras, so I know they weren't eaten and I have a good
filter intake so I know they weren't sucked up. I never had a problem
with them escaping, but I have heard that they can do this mostly if
there is a problem with the water quality.

5 shrimp in a 90 gallon will vanish, and they won't do much if you get
a real algae outbreak. THey are not nocturnal. Angelfish will not eat
Amanos...they are too big for them.

Old 14-01-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
P&L wrote:
I introduced 5 Yamato shrimp to my planted 90gal tank the other day. Just
for fun mostly but for algae utility as well. In the tank are a few Surpae
tetras, cardinals, otto's, SAEs, and one medium angel. Oh and two smallish
clowns. Chemistry is fine, CO2 injection, pH 7.0, 75 degrees.
Shrimp scattered out of the bag, and are gone. Gone. I simply cannot find
one. Its been about 5 days and I've looked hard. My tank is well planted so
there are a million places they can go but still.
I'm beginning to suspect the clowns munched them straight away. I even
watched to see if they had full bellies and if they were hungry when I fed
the tank. Nothing conclusive either way.
Any thoughts folks? Are yamato's nocturnal?

It would be cheaper to feed them ghost shrimp, no?

They're hard to find at the best of times unless you chage
water which seems to be like shrimp speed to them.

If the loaches are of any size, ditto the agels, they ate them.

Try wood shrimp or any of the larger filter feeding shrimp
instead, they're big enough they SHOULD be ok with all but
the largest angels or clown loaches.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 14-01-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
Altum wrote:
I introduced a bunch of Amanos once and over half vanished. I found
"shrimp chips" on the floor when I swept a couple days later. Amano
shrimp are great escape artists.

Those could be moult cases. When they mould they leave a complete
shrimp exoskeleton behind. Dead shrimp are pretty distinctive - they
turn pink - just like the ones you eat! :-)

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net