Old 25-12-2005, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
traydogg6969

Default algea

what is a good bulb to grow algea?i have a few plecos (5) in my tank and
i wanted to grown some algea for them to eat.the bulbs i have now dont
seem to be working.i dont know the wattage.i leave them on for 12 hours
then the other 12 i leave my moon lights on.i do have a UV sterlizer so
this might be a reason i cant get no algea.any help would be great

thanx in advance

Old 30-12-2005, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
KStringer

Almost assuredly, your UV sterilizer is what is preventing you from
being able to grow algae. I have plecos myself (3) and I feed them
Hikari Algae Wafers as usually my tank is algae free (though currently
I am battling an outbreak of Staghorn algae). They love the wafers.
I've also heard of people using blanched zuchinni to feed their plecos.
I don't think you need to grow Algae unless that's just what you want
to do. If so, turn off the UV sterilizer and you should begin seeing
some results soon depending on the normal conditions of your tank minus
the UV hardware.

-Kevin S

Old 16-01-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
traydogg6969 -DONTEMAIL wrote:
what is a good bulb to grow algea?i have a few plecos (5) in my tank and
i wanted to grown some algea for them to eat.the bulbs i have now dont
seem to be working.i dont know the wattage.i leave them on for 12 hours
then the other 12 i leave my moon lights on.i do have a UV sterlizer so
this might be a reason i cant get no algea.any help would be great

The brightest bulb you can use would be the best bulb. Warm white
is fine. Gro lux may or may not work better, evidence is mixed,
but it sure makes African cichlids color up nice.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net