GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Riccia? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/110215-riccia.html)

GS 31-12-2005 04:06 AM

Riccia?

Does this require CO2 to grow and do well? I have a 32 gallon with 135W of
PC lighting, but as of yet no CO2. Guy at the LFS wanted to sell me some but
told me it wouldn't survive without CO2. Is this true? I don't mind if it
grows slowly, but if its true its gonna die then I will obviously pass on
it. Also, do you have to tie this down to something to keep it at the
bottom? Cause from what I've been told if you don't it floats to the top and
makes a mess. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gord.

Koi-lo 31-12-2005 04:28 AM

Riccia?

"GS" wrote in message
Does this require CO2 to grow and do well? I have a 32 gallon with 135W of
PC lighting, but as of yet no CO2. Guy at the LFS wanted to sell me some
but told me it wouldn't survive without CO2. Is this true?

I grew it without CO2. Don't believe what the people in the shops tell you.
I wish I could find riccia locally. Most places are selling a ground moss as
riccia. It slowly dies underwater. Make sure you actually get riccia and
not ground moss.

I don't mind if it
grows slowly, but if its true its gonna die then I will obviously pass on
it.

It thrived in my alkaline hard water. All I added was an aquarium fertilizer
with iron.

Also, do you have to tie this down to something to keep it at the
bottom?

It's a floater. Let it float.

Cause from what I've been told if you don't it floats to the top and
makes a mess. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

It doesn't make a mess. It stays together in a ball.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Cheryl Rogers 31-12-2005 03:58 PM

Riccia?

If allowed to float, Riccia does not require CO2, but it does love iron.

To make it sink, here's what I do. Buy a hairnet. Get a small plate and
stretch the hairnet around the plate. Put a gob of Riccia on the
hairnet, right in the middle. Put a rock on top of the Riccia. Peel the
hairnet away from the plate, lift up, and give the rock a good spin.
Tuck the end of the hairnet under the rock as you place it in the tank.
It doesn't look great right away, but soon the Riccia will grow up
through the hairnet. Eventually it will grow so much that it lifts the
hairnet away from the rock. At that point you'll have to re-do the whole
process.

If you have cory cats or otos, make the hairnet stays tight or they can
get caught in it.

You can also wrap fishing line around the rock.

However, at 4 watts per gallon, I highly suggest you get CO2 quickly or
you're going to have the algae farm from hell. HTH.

Cheryl

Richard Sexton 15-01-2006 02:52 AM

Riccia?

In article VAmtf.17658$km.11375@edtnps89, GS wrote:
Does this require CO2 to grow and do well? I have a 32 gallon with 135W of
PC lighting, but as of yet no CO2. Guy at the LFS wanted to sell me some but
told me it wouldn't survive without CO2. Is this true? I don't mind if it
grows slowly, but if its true its gonna die then I will obviously pass on
it. Also, do you have to tie this down to something to keep it at the
bottom? Cause from what I've been told if you don't it floats to the top and

Ask him how he thinks peple grew it before they hooked
up welding tanks to their aquariums. it's been around in
the hobby for about 120 years. Co2 less than 30.

Your call.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Dave@AquaFlora 18-01-2006 07:15 AM

Riccia?

Yeah, but you definately don't wanna have over 4wpg without CO2 and ferts.
Even with, 4wpg gets hard to manage. AND it being PC instead of a normal
fluorescent....producing 3-4 times the light-output per watt!

Richard Sexton 19-01-2006 06:55 AM

Riccia?

In article 72lzf.107871$km.98165@edtnps89,
Dave@AquaFlora wrote:
Yeah, but you definately don't wanna have over 4wpg without CO2 and ferts.

Agree on the ferts, not on the co2. Bah, in fact.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net