Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Norm

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT

I just got through dipping some Anubias, Crypts, amd Java fern in a
1:19 bleach solution at 2 minutes per treatment, roots and all. The
plants were rinsed in tap water and then left to soak in water that had
a surplus of dechlorination chemical.

The hair algae on the leaves seems paler now. But when will it be safe
for the fish to return these plants to the aquarium? I can't seem to
pull the algae off the leaves and I guess I may lose some of these
plants or much of their leaves. That will not be much of a loss as the
amount of algae on them was excessive.

Anyone have any throughts?

Norm

Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Norm" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got through dipping some Anubias, Crypts, amd Java fern in a
1:19 bleach solution at 2 minutes per treatment, roots and all. The
plants were rinsed in tap water and then left to soak in water that had
a surplus of dechlorination chemical.

The hair algae on the leaves seems paler now. But when will it be safe
for the fish to return these plants to the aquarium? I can't seem to
pull the algae off the leaves and I guess I may lose some of these
plants or much of their leaves. That will not be much of a loss as the
amount of algae on them was excessive.

Anyone have any throughts?

Norm

See convo below yours started by John H.

§tudz

Old 15-01-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
Norm wrote:
I just got through dipping some Anubias, Crypts, amd Java fern in a
1:19 bleach solution at 2 minutes per treatment, roots and all. The
plants were rinsed in tap water and then left to soak in water that had
a surplus of dechlorination chemical.

The hair algae on the leaves seems paler now. But when will it be safe
for the fish to return these plants to the aquarium? I can't seem to
pull the algae off the leaves and I guess I may lose some of these
plants or much of their leaves. That will not be much of a loss as the
amount of algae on them was excessive.

The bleach thing never really worked well. Proper fertilization
and water changes are all you need. Flourish excel will speed up
the algae decline.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-01-2006, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

The bleach thing never really worked well. Proper fertilization
and water changes are all you need. Flourish excel will speed up
the algae decline.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Bleaching works well for most users on here, including myself, where as
using a chemical algae remove does more damage to the other plants as well.
Adding CO2 has also helped delcine the growth rate and spread of the algae,
which is now in decline.

§tudz

Old 15-01-2006, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
§tudz wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

The bleach thing never really worked well. Proper fertilization
and water changes are all you need. Flourish excel will speed up
the algae decline.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Bleaching works well for most users on here, including myself, where as
using a chemical algae remove does more damage to the other plants as well.
Adding CO2 has also helped delcine the growth rate and spread of the algae,
which is now in decline.

Bleaching plants was discovered by Paul Kumbholtz in the late 80s. It's in
the aquaria faq. I *thought* I had success with it ona few occasions but
it always comes back. I mentioned it quite a few times; in this sense I
feel somewhat responsible for it's popularity.

Mentioning the idea in TFH got me (them) a whack of hate mail. Heh.

It doesn't work long term. Expect it to come back because you havn't
done anything to prevent the bad water conditions condusive to it's
growth.

Just fertilize properly and you won't see it again. The algae killing
chemicals all don't work either - they cause more harm than good. I've tried
them all.

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 15-01-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT - black soot algae

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

=============================
Since I started using Flourish fertilizers I've got a problem with a black
soot algae. It comes off easily with a scrubber but makes whatever it grows
on look filthy. I'm not sure which of the 3 is causing it. :-(

It started on the glass and now is slowing spreading to the plants
themselves.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 16-01-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

=============================
Since I started using Flourish fertilizers I've got a problem with a black
soot algae. It comes off easily with a scrubber but makes whatever it grows
on look filthy. I'm not sure which of the 3 is causing it. :-(

It started on the glass and now is slowing spreading to the plants
themselves.

I haven't used any SeaChem fertiliers, just the Excel organic carbon source.

Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-01-2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

=============================
Since I started using Flourish fertilizers I've got a problem with a black
soot algae. It comes off easily with a scrubber but makes whatever it
grows
on look filthy. I'm not sure which of the 3 is causing it. :-(

It started on the glass and now is slowing spreading to the plants
themselves.

I haven't used any SeaChem fertiliers, just the Excel organic carbon
source.

Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?

=============================
No. I get too much glare from the glass at any angle to get a decent pic of
this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.
It's not slimy to the touch, tightly stuck to the glass or plants, nor does
it smell bad. I'm clueless as to what this stuff is. Diatoms maybe? My
water is hard and alkaline.

Old 17-01-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?
=============================
No. I get too much glare from the glass at any angle to get a decent pic of

Have you tried holdig the camera upside down or roated 90 degrees clockwise
and/or counterclockwise? I've found that works pretty good for reducing
glare on digicam closeups.

this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.

Could be the beginnings of staghorn algae.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 17-01-2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?

=============================
No. I get too much glare from the glass at any angle to get a decent pic
of

Have you tried holdig the camera upside down or roated 90 degrees
clockwise
and/or counterclockwise? I've found that works pretty good for reducing
glare on digicam closeups.

No, but I can try it. Thanks. :-) I've tried all kinds of angels but
there is either glare or flashback or the pics are overexposed. That's why
I always had so few pics of my tanks on my pond/fish webpages. I never
tried turning the camera....

this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on
fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.

Could be the beginnings of staghorn algae.

It doesn't do anything but stay powdery looking and spreads out from small
black spots. Where it gets more light, it seems to be a more reddish color.
The goldfish are nibbling it off the back glass I've noticed.

Old 19-01-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

No, but I can try it. Thanks. :-) I've tried all kinds of angels but
there is either glare or flashback or the pics are overexposed. That's why
I always had so few pics of my tanks on my pond/fish webpages. I never
tried turning the camera....

Also, if your camera can take shots as close as a couple of inches
(My $35 Fuji does so I expect real cameras do) then put the lens
of the camera in contact with the aquarium glass. This should eliminate
the glare and might only give you hassles with depth of field and focus.

But at least you have no glare.

this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on
fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.

Could be the beginnings of staghorn algae.

It doesn't do anything but stay powdery looking and spreads out from small
black spots. Where it gets more light, it seems to be a more reddish color.
The goldfish are nibbling it off the back glass I've noticed.

Reddish? Brownish maybe?

Diatoms if so. Put a bright light on it and tell me what color you think
they are now.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 19-01-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
No, but I can try it. Thanks. :-) I've tried all kinds of angels but
there is either glare or flashback or the pics are overexposed. That's
why
I always had so few pics of my tanks on my pond/fish webpages. I never
tried turning the camera....

Also, if your camera can take shots as close as a couple of inches
(My $35 Fuji does so I expect real cameras do) then put the lens
of the camera in contact with the aquarium glass. This should eliminate
the glare and might only give you hassles with depth of field and focus.
But at least you have no glare.

My digital camera is a HP, several years old and ran around $165.00 as I
recall. Close-ups are usually slightly blurry and almost always overexposed.
It has an auto flash thing. Maybe I'm not doing something right with it.
:-( The booklet that came with it doesn't help much and doing anything with
it other than snapping a picture is so confusing.

It doesn't do anything but stay powdery looking and spreads out from small
black spots. Where it gets more light, it seems to be a more reddish
color.
The goldfish are nibbling it off the back glass I've noticed.

Reddish? Brownish maybe?

Yes, you could call it a reddish brown. I don't mind green algae but this
stuff is so ugly.

Diatoms if so. Put a bright light on it and tell me what color you think
they are now.

OK, I just looked close. There may be two kinds. The stuff on the glass
and what's spreading on the plants looks sooty black - not brownish or
reddish. What's spreading on the bottom stones looks a brownish red color.
I'm afraid this crap is going to smother and kill my swordplants and
water-wisteria. :-(

Old 20-01-2006, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Koi-lo wrote:

[...]

Think I have the same stuff in my Malawi tank - it's the only one that
suffers from this. Reddish/brown/purple stuff on the glass - comes off
easily and is powdery. Then darker stuff on the rocks and the plants - I
suppose sooty could describe it. I've always put it down to the lack of
plants and the hardness of the water from the Ocean Rock leeching
limestone into it. Plants are nigh on impossible to grow in this tank as
their leaves get covered in the stuff although I have noticed that the
Plec is starting to clean them up a bit. I also sometimes move them into
another tank and the otos lap the algae up...seen them clean an
anubias to as good as new in a couple of hours that I had despaired of
before.

Have you got any algae eaters in the tank? Might be worth trying....

Gill

Old 20-01-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .

========
Think I have the same stuff in my Malawi tank - it's the only one that
suffers from this. Reddish/brown/purple stuff on the glass - comes off
easily and is powdery.

Yes, exactly, except this stuff is sooty black - no purple, but then
everyone's lighting and eyesight isn't the same. It's only in one of my
tanks as well, a 55g with goldfish. The other tanks are not affected (or
is that effected?).

Then darker stuff on the rocks and the plants - I
suppose sooty could describe it.

That stuff isn't as sooty as what's on the back. It's more like a
"coating."

I've always put it down to the lack of
plants and the hardness of the water from the Ocean Rock leeching
limestone into it.

That's ANOTHER thing I noticed. None of my hornwart is really thriving like
it's done for so many years. Instead of growing like mad it's staggering
along or actually starting to disintegrate. :-(((( What the heck is going
on? The GF don't bother it and even in the platy tank it's not doing well.

Plants are nigh on impossible to grow in this tank as
their leaves get covered in the stuff although I have noticed that the
Plec is starting to clean them up a bit.

While the GF are nibbling some of it off the back glass, they're not doing
that on the plants.

I also sometimes move them into
another tank and the otos lap the algae up...seen them clean an anubias
to as good as new in a couple of hours that I had despaired of before.
Have you got any algae eaters in the tank? Might be worth trying....

I can't keep otos alive. Once the algae is gone they are too! :*( Also,
I would wreck the tank trying to catch them to move them to another tank.
You can't easily catch these AEs in heavily planted tanks. I've given up on
them. As for plecos. I like them, but after a few weeks they *ALL* would
wait for the fish pellets and did little algae eating. Probably because my
tanks don't have much algae. What they do have is usually a light coating
of green algae on the glass and rocks that I remove myself. I haven't had
much luck with algae eaters. Another AE I tried liked fish-slime-coat a lot
more than it liked algae..........