Old 12-01-2006, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default Vortex D-1 diatom storage ?

Hi all,

I gave up trying to fix my cloudy/green water the scientific / natural way
and bought a vortex D-1diatom.

Got it delivered today - up & running OK, water clearing sowly but surely
(200 litres)

My question is whats the easiest & best storage method after ur water is
clear ?

drain some/most/all of the water from the jar - and re-use the same charge
of powder repeatedly until the flow is too low ?

the manual warns of bacteria explosion if its not stored clean & dry etc.

ideas ??

Thanx.
Steve.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Steve Michie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I gave up trying to fix my cloudy/green water the scientific / natural way
and bought a vortex D-1diatom.

Got it delivered today - up & running OK, water clearing sowly but surely
(200 litres)

My question is whats the easiest & best storage method after ur water is
clear ?

drain some/most/all of the water from the jar - and re-use the same charge
of powder repeatedly until the flow is too low ?

Do not reuse the powder which is cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot. It will
stink and foul the next tank you use the filter on. Either backflush the
filter or remove the jar and rinse the whole thing out, including the bag.
Be careful you don't splash water on the motor.

the manual warns of bacteria explosion if its not stored clean & dry etc.

Exactly! And the foulest stink you can imagine. When well rinsed or
thoroughly backflushed there shouldn't be a problem. To prevent any odors
store it DRY.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 13-01-2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.
Steve Michie wrote:
Hi all,

I gave up trying to fix my cloudy/green water the scientific /
natural way and bought a vortex D-1diatom.

Got it delivered today - up & running OK, water clearing sowly but
surely (200 litres)

My question is whats the easiest & best storage method after ur water
is clear ?

I store my vortex xl in the garage when not in use and I leave the water in
it (been doing this for over a year), just make sure it is stored upright
otherwise water may seep out of it and possibly cause damage (don't worry
about unuprighting it when priming as the amount of time it is not upright
is so small no measurable seepage will occur and also if I'm not mistaken
these filters are designed in such a way that if you unupright them while
it's running the water is always pushed inwards so seepage is not a concern
because of that to). The vortex filters are superior to all of the other
diatomaceous earth filters I know of, enjoy it, good luck and later!

drain some/most/all of the water from the jar - and re-use the same
charge of powder repeatedly until the flow is too low ?

That's what I do.

Old 15-01-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Steve Michie wrote:
Hi all,

I gave up trying to fix my cloudy/green water the scientific / natural way
and bought a vortex D-1 diatom.

Got it delivered today - up & running OK, water clearing sowly but surely
(200 litres)

My question is whats the easiest & best storage method after ur water is
clear ?

drain some/most/all of the water from the jar - and re-use the same charge
of powder repeatedly until the flow is too low ?

the manual warns of bacteria explosion if its not stored clean & dry etc.

And they're not kidding. It'll become a black stinky mess in about 2 weeks.

Drain it at least. It can be wet, but not in standing water. Ideally you'd
give it a quick backflush - takes 2 minutes.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net