Old 15-01-2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Small pond question...

I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind,dont
matter and those that matter, dont mind" -Dr.Seuss

Old 15-01-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.ponds
Koi-lo

wrote in message
I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

=============================
Java moss and you can also try the floating water lettuce which is tropical.
Keep the watergarden as close to the edge where the light is brightest.
I'll cross-post this to rec.ponds where someone else may have some
suggestions. Most pond type plants need at least a few hours of sun.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 15-01-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

What about water lillys & other flowery plants? also is there any bog
plants that would do well?

Old 16-01-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote in message
What about water lillys & other flowery plants? also is there any bog
plants that would do well?

Forget water lilies. They may not even survive no less bloom without at
least 4 to 5 hours of sun. Have you Googled "shade pond/bog plants?"
Shade loving bog plants like bluebells want damp soil, not total root
submersion. Anything else worth growing needs at least a few hours of good
sun - to my knowledge. But even bluebells like dappled sunlight, not total
shade.

Old 16-01-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:00 -0600, wrote:

What about water lillys & other flowery plants? also is there any bog
plants that would do well?

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind,dont
matter and those that matter, dont mind" -Dr.Seuss

Many of the aquarium plants are bog plants, do well above the water.
Most that are used for aquariums don't need too much light.

Excuse me, but this isn't true as she'll find out on the aquarium plant NGs.
They do indeed need strong light. She has a water-garden, not an aquarium
so it will not get light from the sides, nor will she view this wg from the
sides. It's on a balcony so will not get much light if there's another
balcony above it. Looking down in to the darkness to see Java moss or Java
fern wouldn't be very appealing. Even they need "light" to thrive.

somewhere around this place (my house) is a copy of a magazine that
described water plants that would work in the shade, if I can find it
I'll post some more info.

But it's not OPEN shade, it's a balcony with most likely another above it
blocking out the light. This means it gets light only from the one,
possibly 2 sides, and not sunlight at that. :-( This would be considered
deep or dense shade.

In the meantime, the web has some info;

http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/...ng_plants.html

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...?article_id=50

http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/mess...ead.php?t=4243

http://www.garden-pond-plants.com/buyplants.htm

These are the first few that showed up.

Old 16-01-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

Outdoors? Don't you have January out there in zone 5? Anything that
won't freeze should be ok. Although I actually live near large cities
my US friends refer to this place as a "frozen arctic wasteland" yet
every spring Ludwigia, Riccia, vals and sags and all sorts of aquaqrium
plants pop up in the lakes rivers and ponds here. So, some of them
can freeze.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-01-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

Outdoors? Don't you have January out there in zone 5? Anything that
won't freeze should be ok. Although I actually live near large cities
my US friends refer to this place as a "frozen arctic wasteland" yet
every spring Ludwigia, Riccia, vals and sags and all sorts of aquaqrium
plants pop up in the lakes rivers and ponds here. So, some of them
can freeze.

=======================
The lack of SUNLIGHT is her/his biggest problem, not the cold.

Old 16-01-2006, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

wrote:
I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

Outdoors? Don't you have January out there in zone 5? Anything that
won't freeze should be ok. Although I actually live near large cities
my US friends refer to this place as a "frozen arctic wasteland" yet
every spring Ludwigia, Riccia, vals and sags and all sorts of aquaqrium
plants pop up in the lakes rivers and ponds here. So, some of them
can freeze.

=======================
The lack of SUNLIGHT is her/his biggest problem, not the cold.

Oh, well then: Aroids. They pretty much all like it wet and shaded.

Not sure how well an anthurium would do outdoors right now though.
Crypts do ok in colder weather, some hostas will.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-01-2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I dont plan to do anything untill spring LOL!! Nancy

Old 16-01-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote:
I Live in zone 5,and have an balcony that gets very little sunlight.Can
anyone tell me what kind of waterplants that will do well in my
watergarden? Thanks,Nancy

Outdoors? Don't you have January out there in zone 5? Anything that
won't freeze should be ok. Although I actually live near large cities
my US friends refer to this place as a "frozen arctic wasteland" yet
every spring Ludwigia, Riccia, vals and sags and all sorts of aquaqrium
plants pop up in the lakes rivers and ponds here. So, some of them
can freeze.

=======================
The lack of SUNLIGHT is her/his biggest problem, not the cold.

Oh, well then: Aroids. They pretty much all like it wet and shaded.

But which ones? I think she needs to do a good search on the net for what
she needs.

Not sure how well an anthurium would do outdoors right now though.

I believe they're tropical.

Crypts do ok in colder weather, some hostas will.

Hostas will not grow in water. They like damp soil but not waterlogged
soil. I can't think of one hardy shade (pond) plant that will grow in the
dense shade the OP is dealing with.

Old 16-01-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
I dont plan to do anything untill spring LOL!! Nancy

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind,dont
matter and those that matter, dont mind" -Dr.Seuss

Maybe the best thing to do is what I've done
in my tropical aquariums: tried different plants
and the ones that survived/thrived, are the ones
I kept.

I don't recall where you live (if it was noted in
an earlier post) but some LFS and even some
Lowes carry a variety of pond plants available
starting in spring.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 17-01-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:
The lack of SUNLIGHT is her/his biggest problem, not the cold.

Oh, well then: Aroids. They pretty much all like it wet and shaded.

But which ones? I think she needs to do a good search on the net for what
she needs.

Not sure how well an anthurium would do outdoors right now though.

I believe they're tropical.

Mine have survived a mild frost. C. albida yet, which is otherwise deilcate.

Crypts do ok in colder weather, some hostas will.

Hostas will not grow in water. They like damp soil but not waterlogged
soil.

Mine grow on a waterlooged riverbank here.

I can't think of one hardy shade (pond) plant that will grow in the
dense shade the OP is dealing with.

Spathiphyllum. Anthurium shold be ok too. All thrive in dense shace and moist
soil modulo some reasonable temerature. Anubias would work too.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 17-01-2006, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

Hostas will not grow in water. They like damp soil but not waterlogged
soil.

Mine grow on a waterlooged riverbank here.

A riverbank isn't like being in a submerged pot in a pond or barrel of
water. Not all hostas like wet soil, some will soon develop a foul smelling
root rot. They like well drained damp soil and dappled shade. I grow these
as garden plants and am quite familiar with them. :-)

I can't think of one hardy shade (pond) plant that will grow in the
dense shade the OP is dealing with.

Spathiphyllum. Anthurium shold be ok too.

These tropicals will stretch and lean in dense shade. The Anthurium would
probably rot in wet soil unless she finds an aquatic type.

All thrive in dense shace and moist
soil modulo some reasonable temerature. Anubias would work too.

I'd hate to see her waste her money on plants that will surely fail. There
are few things other than mushrooms that do well in dense shade. Hostas
will live in open shade but even they will start to fade away under a
balcony.......

Old 19-01-2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Spathiphyllum. Anthurium shold be ok too.

These tropicals will stretch and lean in dense shade. The Anthurium would
probably rot in wet soil unless she finds an aquatic type.

They work fine. Honest. 10,000 betta vase owners can'tbe wrong.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Small pond question... Koi-lo Ponds 0 15-01-2006 06:40 PM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 06:18 PM
green pond, 1 small question. Superkitt Ponds 3 30-08-2003 06:42 PM
Small Pond Question steetsel Ponds 12 13-06-2003 05:08 AM
small pond filtration Melissa Ponds 3 04-02-2003 08:58 PM