Old 18-01-2006, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default PC Fluorescents...actual light output different from typical wpg standards?

I have heard the PC lighting delivers 3-4 times more light output than
standard fluorescents. How does one measure wpg in this case? I have a 33
gallon I'll be setting up in the near future. I'm contemplating on getting
some PC units with very high rated reflectors from ahsupply. I would like
~3wpg. Should I get the 2x36W or 2x55W setup? If I went with normal wpg
standards it would be 2.2wpg (2x36w) or 3.3wpg (2x55w).

Thanks for any help!

Dave.

Old 19-01-2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article %glzf.107873$km.14008@edtnps89,
Dave@AquaFlora wrote:
I have heard the PC lighting delivers 3-4 times more light output than

Eh, yes and no.

First of all a 40W compact fluorescent tube emits less luminous flux
than a standard T12 big-ass tube. Not by much but it's actually less.

However, and it's a BIG HOWEVER the compact fluorescent puts put that
much light in a much more, well, compact package.

There is a limit as to how much light you can put over a tank with T12
tubes, a physical limit. The damn things are huge and bulky. I've
run up agaisnt this even hacking the things apart to fit as many in
as possible.

But, with a CF tube it's easy to squeeze another one in or to use
a much higher wattage bulb over a tank smaller than the eight foot
one you'd have to have to use seriously bright T14 fluorescent.

Poke aorund on GEs site, they have PDFs of all their tubes
numbers. See for yourself.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net