Old 26-01-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Far Thunder

Default help me ID this plant?

Hau kolas..came across this in an unlabeled tank at a LFS about a month ago, threw it in my quarantine tank to see what would
happen. Woman who worked there who usually knows her stuff could only say it "needs high light" and thought it was hygrophila
polysperma 'sunset'. Hadn't seen it before or since. Well since then this plant has done very well. it's doubled in size,
colored up beautifully, and thrown out roots from the nodes like mad and is threatening to grow out of the tank..rapid growth
has paused at the water line for the present time. I'd like to propagate it, but don't want to kill them in the process.
here's some pictures, not the best quality in the world. doesn't seem to have the vein coloration of 'sunset' from pictures
I've found. the plant started off fairly green with maroon undersides of the leaves. , after going into the quarantine tank
with 65W over 20 gallons, the leaves became more true red, but the upper leaves are pretty much bright pink on the undersides
now. Any guesses as to what it could be? Or regarding propagation? TIA for any help

http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant3.jpg this shows the plant appearance when first put into my tank
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant4.jpg undersides of upper leaves..more pink as approach waterline
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant5.jpg tops of leaves green tinted red

lila pilamaya

Old 26-01-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I'm 89% sure that it's Alternathera Reinekii, less likely, it may be
Hygrophila Corymbosa.... Though I could be wrong.

Old 26-01-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dogma Discharge

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm 89% sure that it's Alternathera Reinekii, less likely, it may be
Hygrophila Corymbosa.... Though I could be wrong.

Positive, it is Alternathera Reinekii

Old 26-01-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Far Thunder wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant3.jpg this shows the plant appearance when first put into my tank
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant4.jpg undersides of upper leaves..more pink as approach waterline
http://home.comcast.net/~farthunder/plant5.jpg tops of leaves green tinted red

lila pilamaya

Hey Lili;
It's Alternathera, sometimes sold as "red Hygrophilia" of course it's not
Hygrophilia of any species. I'd say it was the easiest of the "tough
high light plants". Without enough light it'll barely grow so if you have
it putting up ne leaves you're good. To propogate iy just cut a stem
back behins where a lot of roots grow outof and plant that part.

It'll grow out of the water if it stays moist enough and makes
blood red leaves. neat plant, one of my favorites.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 26-01-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Far Thunder wrote:
[...]

Looks like a type of hygrophila but I'm no expert, but I do know that
mine grows rampantly so I spread it across tanks. Taking cuttings is
quite easy if it is hygrophila. Just nip out some stems 3-4" in length.
Strip off the lower leaves while trying to keep as much of the root hair
as possible. I then tie 3 or 4 stems with a plant weight and sink them
into the gravel. Works a treat....

Gill